Wednesday 22 December 2010

Agricola: Farmers of the Moor

So it was the last games night of the year, and the leader board was delicately poised with Adam and Sam level on 40 points. We settled down to the choice of Colosseum or Agricola: Farmers of the Moor. Yet again Colosseum was overlooked for a newer, more enticing, complex game, a decision that caused some cussing about three hours later.
Adding horses, forests and clay pits to the basic game there were also new actions that could be taken without using a family member and even more confusing (yet apt) a need to heat your house during the winter. This was particularly hard until about the eighth round when we discovered that wood burns, at which point we stopped just using piles of peat as blankets.
 
Quentin quickly established his crop growing strategy with occupations that gave bonus veg and grain whenever he took food. Sam struggled after being dealt a hand bereft of useful improvements and created some beautiful rolling pastures that were only missing animals. Andrew’s board had a little of everything, but not enough to pile up the big points. I started with a card that deducted 4 points at the end of the game but gave me one of every item and a nice leg-up at the start. I built up a stock of sheep for food and horses for points and renovated as soon as possible to reduce heating costs. Joe looked to get his crops going and his house expanded and renovated into the most magnificent neo-gothic original-feature-filled 17th Century barn conversion you’ve ever seen. By playing the yeoman farmer he was able to completely ignore livestock and concentrate on maxing out all the other scoring categories.
In a seasonal interlude the crisps and beer were interrupted by a round of some quite scary (but delicious) biscuits and tasty warm mince pies, giving the gang just enough energy to get to the end of what would be a long night.
 
If your answer to the question “Is Agricola confusing enough?” is "No, I understand every aspect of it perfectly and never have to ask for something I should have collected last round." then FotM is the answer to your prayers. It turns out though that (apart perhaps from Quentin) our answer is "Yes". Maybe as a two- or three- player game it will liven things up, but a mind-mangling range of options isn’t lacking in the original game...
As we drew to a close Quentins board looked most balanced and but for missing out on the riding stables in the last round it should have handed him victory. Only the poor workmanship of his house counted against him, while Joe scored big on house, family and garden, and I scored on horses and bonus points. The final scores saw a tie for first place:
 
Joe 45
Adam 45
Quentin 44
Sam 36
Andrew 19

The Leaderboard

All of which means a decisive two-point win this year for me (unless you count points per game in which case Sam just pips Steve, but we don’t, okay?)



PlayedPoints
Adam2045
Sam1543
Joe1941
Andrew2329
Steve616
Quentin511
Jonny710
Will24
Hannah11
Jon11
So next year our more egalitarian points-scoring-system is going to be 1 point each for turning up as we all know that games should just be played for the joy of playing. Right guys? Group hug!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I had a dream last night I was playing Agricola with you guys. It must've been a new expansion pack, because the only move I remember in any detail was when Joe put two houses on his evacuation site.

    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and thanks for your kind words regarding my attempts, but the fact is my farm was covered in moor and forest and was so unfit for livestock I kept my horse in the spare room for the whole game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I woke up this morning certain that I had overlooked 2 points which should have made me the winner. The Birthing Stool gave me a bonus point for each family growth action, and I had 3 points on it at the end, but 5 family members! I was on the verge of texting Adam when I realised that I didn't get bonus points for the two family members I had at the beginning of the game. Duh!
    For the record, I managed to play the entire game without ever owning or cooking livestock, which is certainly a first for me.

    Agricola is definitely my desert-island-game of choice, and in that respect, Farmers of the Moor would be worth taking along to liven up games after the first 10 years of playing the base game daily. On my own, or with the 1 to 4 beautiful native ladies that it turns out are living on the island too.

    Thanks Sam for hosting an epic night of farming.

    ReplyDelete