Wednesday 27 April 2011

Seven Up

A return to the regular Tuesday evening schedule was greeted by a bumper turnout. As well as this season’s regulars (me, Adam, Sam and Joe) Quentin, Hannah and Steve were able to attend. With so many players to accommodate, new potential games were considered. Quentin had brought Sherlock Holmes, and he tried the soft sell by telling us that it really wasn’t that good.

In the end, Quentin’s reverse psychology didn’t work and we chose I’m The Boss!, a game of wheeler dealing and backstabbing. The rules were explained by Joe, and we began tentatively but before long people were forcing their way into share deals by sending others away on sudden holidays. There was still a lot of confusion, though, and it wasn’t always clear who was needed for which deal. This is probably due to our inexperience. Nevertheless, we all ploughed merrily on until the end, where Hannah came out a clear winner, 4,000,000 points ahead of her nearest rival, Joe.

Hannah 35m
Joe 31m
Adam 30m
Andrew 26m
Quentin 19m
Sam 19m
Steve 10m

It had a mixed reception, with Sam not enjoying it that much, and Steve baffled for most of the game. I thought it had potential, and Joe’s wife laughed when she found out we were playing it, since apparently Joe’s been trying to get someone to play it for weeks.

Since it was only half past nine, another game was suggested. Seven Wonders was chosen. With seven players each player would only get to see each hand once, so any hopes of seeing a good card a second time around were futile.

Joe played an interesting game, building no natural resources at all. This meant he couldn’t finish his Statue of Zeus, but he made up for it with a wide selection of blue buildings. I didn’t bother with the military at all, hoping the minus six points I got for being a hippy would be balanced out elsewhere. As the third round began, so the lack of resources around the table began to tell, as several players struggled to build anything at all. As the points were totted up, it was Steve who’d won, again proving that diversification is a winning strategy as he picked up points in each category, while not winning any outright. Hannah came second by the slimmest of margins – and she too didn’t win any category.

Steve 55
Hannah 54
Sam 50
Andrew 47
Adam 46
Joe 40
Quentin 36

A great night for Hannah, as she came first and second on a night with seven players, and therefore she picked up lots of points and she glides into first place with her points ratio which I think is the highest we’ve seen. Not such a great night for Quentin.

And at least the Leaderboard is looking a bit fuller now.

The leaderboard...

PlayedPointsRatio
Sam1044.54.45
Andrew1040.54.05
Adam836.54.56
Joe731.54.5
Hannah2136.5
Steve284
Quentin242

5 comments:

  1. Nice write-up Andrew. I was probably - who, me? - being a bit of a bad loser with I'm the Boss, because when I finally picked up decent cards it was late in the game, so I was hampered by ill fortune - though that's still reason enough not to like it!

    7 Wonders is always good though. One for the famous desert island. If we all end up there we'll have about 80 games anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I did like it, I Know What The Boss Did Last Summer was a bit intense - I was happy to play something else just to wind down.

    Hannah thinks that there is no possible way of topping this weeks performance and so she will be retiring from Tuesday games with immediate effect, to spend some quality time with her millions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, Adam, we're relying on you to bring her again, so we can lower her points ratio and make it more competitive.

    Assuming she doesn't win again, that is...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't see any ore all game — so not building a head on my statue of Zeus wasn't quite a strategy . . . anyway the temple of Zeus wasn't big enough for the statue so it's just as well I didn't finish it.

    I always forget while I'm playing, and remember when you mention it in the blog Andrew, that diversifying is the key strategy in 7W; picking up points in all catagories. I zero-ed in purple, yellow and green points. bah.

    I've remembered Hammy's post-game analysis of my rubbishness at Stabcon. Your base level for points per age is 6, because that's what you'd get if you traded in a card for 3 money each turn. So if you get less than 6 points in an age, you fucked up.

    I think 7 players does make it a total crapshoot — a fun one, still, but there's a might more control and decision making in the three to five player range.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the Boss I like. It's a bit of a party game I think — the kind of party where you end up screaming in each others faces and throwing things before storming out.

    ReplyDelete