Wednesday 12 October 2011

Peak Games

On the same night that we overdosed on strategy, Chris had summoned the Bracknell group...
+++++

Another instalment of the Bracknell GNN saw Paul and Chris (me) join up after James explained he couldn't make it earlier in the day.

We decided to kick the evening off with Aton, a new game to Paul. After listening intently to my 'expert' explanation of the rules he manfully tried to look less confused than he actually was and agreed to proceed. My recent experience and Paul's lack of showed early on as I bounded round the scoring track and filled up the temples with blue counters as I went. After the first scoring round I was in a commanding position. However, the penny dropping in Paul's mind was almost audible as he embarked on a determined fightback. Alas to no avail as a second scoring round saw me launch over the line.

Chris 45
Paul 28

Buoyed by his finishing charge and the realisation that the black squares really are a winning move, Paul asked if we could play another game of Aton. The first game had finished quickly and it wasn't even 8pm yet so we set up another round. As is typical with this more abstract type of game, once my opponent actually grasps the rules I'm often left clinging to their coat tails as they forge a path of superior tactics and logic. Paul duly obliged and by the end of the first scoring round was in a formidable 10 point lead. I shifted my strategy to one of trying pinch cheap points to close the gap but unfortunately Paul cottoned on to this and began to block. The game ended a closer affair than the final scores suggest, Paul getting a couple of useful 4's in his hand before the final scoring round.

Paul 44
Chris 33

With the night still young we moved on to our main game of the evening. Paul quite graciously accepted my request and puppy dog eyes to play London, a game introduced to us by Sam at Septcon. After a quick rules refresher we were off, blue prints in hand and appointments in the book to see the bank manager in the morning. Early on it would seem that we both had the more cautious approach of the three player game in our memories as we both made small display stacks and concentrated on building as much money as possible. Slowly it dawned on us that the resource restriction of a third player wasn't there and you could play as expansively as you liked. Paul in particular raced ahead in his stack building and showing an utter contempt for the arts and culture as he proceeded to build an empire based on hard economic reality. I however, saw that Paul was starting to burn himself out and plumped for a borough domination tactic and a balanced stack. As we two mavericks of industry forged ahead poverty became a thing of the past in our utopian society. Finally as the two hour mark neared and we had exhausted the card deck the final tot up showed that my 11 boroughs and 6 underground stations out weighed Paul's card victory point haul.

Chris 116 (Money=10, Boroughs=57, VP Cards=25, VP=24, Pov=0)
Paul 100 (Money=13, Boroughs=38, VP Cards=30, VP=19, Pov=0)

I like this game even more now I have played it again but I would have liked to have seen a more restrictive two player version than simply a smaller card display.... Maybe the BGG community has some suggestions..

3 comments:

  1. Joe and I recently snuck a quick game of Aton at work - I steamed into a early lead but by the time Joe hit 40pts I was struggling into the early 30's. Lots of variation in the game, and real potential for transfer of power.

    London - for some reason (overplay?) I'm not into it right now. I guess with the fresh influx of games, a new season, Stabcon in January... it got left behind. Do like it as a 2 player though. And to be honest in mine and Andrew's head to head battles I think we used the full deck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The BGG forums came up with a couple of variants. One, which I quite liked, was to start with 10 or 15 poverty. Another was to thin out the deck, especially the duplicates, restrict the boroughs and have a rule that you cant run two of the same cards in your display at the same time.

    All of them are largely untested but do have some merits. Somebody has gone to the trouble to suggest a list of cards to remove which is helpful although I don't know if I would invest the 90 minutes plus to then find it wasn't working, although it should work well if the cards removed are poverty reducing cards and you start with more poverty cubes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Removing duplicates sounds good. Makes the display more pivotal in terms of what you leave on show.

    ReplyDelete