Thursday 12 January 2012

Loyang Hair!


Sam and I decided to tackle one of Sam's "Guilty Eleven", i.e. those eleven games he's bought but not yet played. Tonight it was At The Gates of Loyang, a sort of trading game that apparently plays best with two. When I arrived, the kids were out of the way and the table was already set up to begin. If I'd been any later, I expect Sam would've been standing at the window, waiting for me to arrive.

We read through the rules of the game, which are very badly written. So we watched a video on YouTube to see if we'd got it right, but even then, we didn't realise a couple of mistakes until quite late in the game.

Nevertheless, we understood the majority of the rules and, once we got into it, we found it to be quite an enjoyable game. First, you sow the seed. Then, nature grows the seed. Then you sell it to customers, or trade it on the market. There are certain cards which help with trading or harvesting etc.

There's not much interaction, but a certain amount of mistrust when your opponent has a card that allows him to sell to your customers. Also, there's a bit of bluffing in the card phase: you need to play two cards, but you have to pick up a card that's already face up on the table as well as a card from your hand. I found myself making "ooh, I don't want this card" type noises when laying a card down for all to see, only to pick it up again when I got the chance.

And the scoring system is clever too. Unfortunately, not easy to explain in a pithy sentence, and we misunderstood it until near the end of the game. However, for what it's worth, the game ended

Sam 15
Andrew 13

And the explanation for the title of this blog post? A recent craze amongst Sam's kids is to say "hair" preceded by a random word, such that great hilarity ensues. For example, "Egg hair", "Tooter hair" and the perennial favourite "Poo hair."

6 comments:

  1. I liked this a fair bit. Intriguing, not too long once you know what you're doing, and nice to look at. Even Sally came over and cooed at it. On first play I couldn't spot a real bent towards 2 players, but perhaps it gets a bit long with more.

    The guilty ones in full: not really that guilty: maths trades Waterloo, Ingenius and Space Alert. Mildly hedonistic: Works purchases Strozzi, Hamburgum, Assyria, Ys and Amyitis. Full-on Catholic torment: Tigris and Euphrates, Ur and First Train to Nuremburg. A few more Thursdays and I'll knock my purgatory down a few years....

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a single player playthrough I wasn't sure why it had a reputation for being so long either — it's listed as 2 hours on the geek.
    The suggestion of best with two-player seems to stem from the same place as for Eurorails and the other crayon rails games; that the play time increases greatly with each additional player, and because there's very little interaction it's as good with two as with more. Can't quite see it being an hour per player though — how long was your game?

    As for my guiltys:

    Maria
    Royal Palace
    Ys
    Shadows over Camelot
    Hansa Teutonica
    Hansa
    Merchants of Amsterdam
    Glory to Rome
    Innovation

    Tichu

    And there are a few I feel guilty about because I've played them so little, but can't quite seem to part with them, notably:
    De Vulgari Eloquentia
    Thunderstone
    Cuba
    Santiago
    Chicago Express

    My New Year's Resolution is to roll more dice. Playing Decathlon at Stabcon made me realise how much I enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well in that case you might be intrigued by my new game idea, Joe... let's talk.

    We took about 2 and a half hours but a lot of that was trying to work out what the hell was going on; the rule book was bad, even by gaming standards. Colour-coding the rules is a nice idea, but it got confusing. Especially when as first-time players you're told to skip a section that actually contains pivotal information...

    I think now we know it it'd be over in an hour or so for two, maybe an hour and a half/40 mins for three - for four players, yes, I guess it'd get a bit heavy. But it's quite fast-moving once you know what's going on. Neither of us felt it dragged (apart from the rulebook, obviously, which has grazed knuckles from dragging them on the floor)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colour me intrigued . . . that's a turquoisy-pink in case you're wondering.
    Forgot to add Troyes to the guilty list (maybe it doesn't count because Sam and I have played it at least once).
    It has dice too! I feel a 'what I want to play in 2012' blog entry coming on . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe, haven't we played both Mu and Tichu? And if you want shot of Santiago, I'll buy/trade. I like that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well we haven't played a full game of Mu or Tichu — only a hand or two of each.
    Tichu is first team to 1000 points, Mu first person to 200.
    I like Santiago — we should play it sometime soon . . .

    ReplyDelete