Friday 29 July 2022

Wien about it

I arrived bang on time this week and experienced the pre game chat that I'm usually absent for. 

Present were Ian, Joe (hosting), Martin, Gareth and Adam T followed by Sam. We were expecting Laura and tentatively began setting up a couple of games before we learnt she couldn't make it. 

This meant that Joe, Ian and Adam put away their potential four player game of La Corsa and instead had a three player game of Conspiracy, the game of espionage and bluffing. Under the sea. And it comes in a tin box which still doesn't fit well with us at GNN.


On my half of the table, Martin, Gareth, Sam and I played Free Ride. This game feels like someone wanted to play Ticket To Ride but wanted to get rid of the random card choices or building the longest track and concentrate solely on completing journeys.

It was nice. Very simple. Build track that allows you to get your train to a starting city, pick up the route cards and then try and get to the destination. Certainly basic enough for me to get my head round, apart from a bit of brain fog midway through. We’d all started at the edge and then slowly moved into the centre. As a consequence no one’s track was “nationalised” until near the end of round two. 


In the end, Gareth and I tied on points and then on the tie-breaker too. Gareth wondered if his incomplete railway counted against him, but apparently not.

Andrew 121
Gareth 121
Sam 115
Martin 95

Conspiracy ended 

Adam T 54
Joe 49
Ian 48

And with that, sad to say, I had to leave. Pity that my early arrival was matched by my early departure, but life won’t go away. I’ll hand over to Sam to finish off the evening…

*        *       *

Without Andrew's immense power of recall, casting my mind back to Tuesday now - on Friday - is like stumbling around in a fog of victory points. When I texted him the scores of our final games, I'd already forgotten that we'd played Ra. That was the same night we played them.


But play Ra we did - or Joe, Ian and I did - whilst Martin Adam and Gareth turned their minds to Mille Fiori. I'm not sure what occurred there other than Gareth winning: 

Gareth 217
Adam 199
Martin 165


Meanwhile in ancient Egypt Ian was taking short-term pummellings but building a hefty collection of monuments. Joe's last-out tactics worked well for him in the first epoch, but in the final one Ra decided enough was enough, and his bag-scraping resulted in nothing more than a red face, and his chance of snatching the wind was blown away in a sirocco. Ian beat me on some kind of stupid tie-breaker.

Ian 53
Sam 53
Joe 247

Then we negated the leaving noises emanating from Gareth and Adam by breaking out So Clover and tempting them to stay. 


We got off to an okay start, but my clue of Fairground for Wheel / Mirage foxed everyone because I was too distracted/drunk to remember that I'd written Safari for Lion / Attraction. They not-unreasonably assumed Fairground and Attraction went together whilst I tried to keep a poker face, and the disdain when I removed the card hung in the air unvoiced (except for Martin, who voiced it). However despite one or two other shaky moments we recovered to score a more than decent 30/36. I can't remember who wrote it but I particularly like Mr Blobby for Jelly / Father.

Gareth and Adam then did leave, and we were now a four. Joe's mooted LACORSA now made it to the table, and we faced off over a wooden track that, like Martin's Formula Motor Racing game, is solely there to establish positions relative to each other.


It's pretty simple - in each round the car at the back begins by challenging the one immediately in front of it. A challenge consists of both players choosing a card from their hand and revealing at the same time: if the car behind wins, they move up (and can challenge again if there's another car immediately in front of them). If the car in front wins, or it's a tie, positions remain as they are and it's now this player's turn to challenge the next car. You can do up to two challenges per turn - as long as you win the first one.


The cards are numbered 1-12 plus a Redline that can be played in combination with a number to boost it's value by two. The crappy-valued 1-3 cards can be played as extends: move into an empty space ahead of you. It's quite luck-driven in terms of what cards you get (my hand above contains more 4's and 5's than ideal) but as a beer-and-pretzels game it's pretty fun. And like Formula Motor Racing, it's probably at it's best experienced over a number of races...


Martin came home winner with Ian in second. Joe upheld Explainer's Curse by trailing in behind me. And that was that!

1 comment:

  1. I liked Free Ride even though it does feel a bit compromised by it's own quirkiness. The continuous parsing of which routes go where do slow down what otherwise felt reasonably rompy. I'd like to play again with Martin's dice idea in operation: each of the potential routes has a colour and you use matching dice to mark the cities as 1-2-3 on the board.

    ReplyDelete