Wednesday 22 May 2024

Robot Bedtime

Anja and Steve were our hosts last night, and though the rain did its best, Ian arrived by bike to join Anja and Louie, Martin, and myself. While we waited for Steve - at work - and Adam - waiting out the rain - we cracked out a one-round game of Cabanga. 


There was a notable lack of Cabanga-ing. Everyone seemed to have a card that was adjacent, and when they didn't - see Anja's 16 below - nobody had the Cabangability. 

Ian won the round with three of us on 2 points and Louie on 3. But with the late arrivals now here, it was time to split into groups. Anticipating Louie's keenness, I'd brought Robot Quest Arena and he got that set up with Dad and Adam. Meantime Martin talked Ian, Anja and I through the quirky rules of Cascadero. Andrew has already covered this in the previous post, but it felt on first blush a bit like Reiner thinking How can I make Babylonia more thinky, and longer. The map is still dynamic and it's still about connections, but no longer predominantly focused on having a huge network - although it doesn't hurt. 

I'd helped them set up RQA but I didn't have time to do a brief overview as I was trying to hold everything about Cascedero in my head, a task I was to fail at. But Adam scanned the rules and they were up and running. Louie had a P2 W2 record at this, could he keep his 100% intact? As you can see, Steve had other ideas. 

We kicked off in Cascadero and despite Martin's clear explanation I had already rearranged a pivotal rule in my head, and I began what I thought was canny play only to subsequently notice everyone else was scoring points. For myself if nobody else: you don't score a point per envoy in a network that joins a town. But you do want to arrive later than the other players, with at least two envoys. Or one envoy with a seal. Where do you get a seal from? From Reiner's five available tracks up which you are pushing cubes for bonuses. 


Many of these bonuses are better for the first claimant, so each track has an element of racing to it. But Cascadero also has objectives - eg first to connect like-coloured towns, first to get all cubes to x spot or above on the track - and, lest we forget, the very Knizian bunfight taking place on the board itself, where there is racing-to, blocking, hoping-none-will-block and general chicanery. My head was hurting, but I was at least entertained by the play on Radio RQA transmitting from the other side of the table.

LOUIE
                I have a Tesla Coil, and you don't

STEVE
                You can sit on that coil and swivel

Pinter would be proud. I advised Louie to make a note of social services number and then wondered who I could call as Anja and I watched Ian and Martin sear off up the track, fifteen or so points ahead of us. Martin's blue cube had already reached the top of the track (should you not complete the track of your own colour by game-end, it's an auto-lose) whereas we were also lagging in the cube department. The board looked like a dog had eaten some Totterdown Lego and thrown up and Anja and I, united in our despair, agreed that discs would have been better than horsemen for 'legibility issues'. I insisted on lying my envoys flat, telling everyone that it made the board easier to read, but secretly feeling that they deserved no better, having disappointed me. 

In the Robo Arena, Adam was telling Louie "This is how it feels" in a tone of voice that suggested some kind of frozen dish was being served. In Cascadero, the end was approaching. Ian had few envoys left and Martin kept bemoaning his lack of seals. From somewhere, Steve had produced a cuddly seal and kept making it talk, adding a modicum of surreality to proceedings. But when things ended, they ended surprisingly. It was tense, so tense that when Martin mentioned closing the purple curtain nobody had the will to say anything juvenile. Anja and I had staged a mini-recovery of sorts, though we still lagged and Anja's cube hadn't reached the top of her orange track. I knew I needed to place just one envoy to get the yellow cities connection award (2 points) but I'd totally forgotten the 10 point bonus for connecting all coloured cities. I think Anja may have too; she got the reward but seemed remarkably underwhelmed by it, not even bothering to announce, or maybe even award, her big points swing after quietly placing an envoy:

SAM
(next in line)
                Is that it?

ANJA
(forlornly)
                That's it, yeah

Then I made my final connection and we both scored our points. It catapulted me past Martin and Ian to claim a very unexpected and, let's be honest, undeserved debut win:

Sam 43
Ian 41
Martin 39
Anja 34 (did not complete orange track)

And Robot Quest Arena finished at the same time! The final count-up took a while despite Louie's pressing bedtime, but if the reigning champ was concerned he had no need to be. It was another victory for the Man City of automaton wrestling:

Louie 33
Adam 31
Steve 28

A close thing. Louie was packed off to bed and we looked at the time and had the GNN classic of what-to-play next, before settling on Mille Fiori (Steve, Anja, Martin) and Via Nebula (me, Adam, Ian). Mille Fiori's opening was a classic: all three played into the same area, blocking starting player Martin in before he got going, triggering 45 minutes of almost constant swearing, at one point Steve yelling FUCK OFF loud enough to wake the kids. 


Via Nebula was equally spicy, if not quite as demonstrative. Apologies for hassling both my opponents on their first two turns, but I thought the game was going to be a lot longer (we finished before Mille Fiori did). Maybe my victory comes with an asterisk, but twice I utilised Ian and Adam's hard labour to complete contracts and build buildings. Once I even apologised for it. 


It felt like a speedy game. Having an extra contract in hand was helpful in giving me options, but the devil in the nebula is really the risk of loading up sites you share with someone else. Or sites that you're ready to build on before someone else swoops in. It has more than a smidgin of dastardliness, and as chief Dick I ended the game before the others could get their fourth building down:

Sam 27
Ian 18
Adam 16

While we were counting up they finished the other game too, with more chagrin from Steve and an exceedingly tight finish!

Martin 194
Anja 193
Steve 146

And that was that. No tapas night by any means and no So Clover to finish, but two significantly dickish main courses for everyone, with another Knizia-Wallace double bill! Thanks all. It was horrid. 

1 comment:

  1. I meant to round off by saying how Cascadero is *very different* from Babylonia and how erroneous my first impression was. It's less accessible and more ponderously paced, but I liked it.

    ReplyDelete