Thursday 19 May 2011

Extra Curricular Activities

As sometimes happens, a second window of gaming opportunity opened this week, though only two people were available to appreciate the view through it, Andrew and Joe (me).
It was the perfect opportunity to give Alien Frontiers a spin — the much-lauded dice-based fifties-sci-fi-themed first-game-from-clever-mojo-games-last-year.
Easy enough to pick up, and a very clean, unfussy design. It plays fairly fast, but with two seemed a little underwhelming. The spaces are limited in the two-player game, to reflect the spaces that would be taken by your opponents in a three or four player game, but what's missing is the screwage those two extra opponents would deal out. It is a game where you can be pro-actively aggressive (albeit in a relatively gentle way), and shut down your rivals, and with two of us, being fairly nice to each other at that, it lacked ooomph. I won by a point - but there was some too-ing and fro-ing, it was nice and close.
But it didn't outstay it's welcome, and so we decided to return to medieval Paris for a go at two-player Notre Dame. We had both played this once before, and I took a right pasting, coming fifth in a five player game. I'd learned from my mistakes, and went in to the game determined not to run out of money or influence cubes. I aped Adam's winning strategy from the last game, of going to the park early, which gives you an extra VP whenever you take VPs - it's a very useful spot. It also helps keep the rats at bay early on.

This time Andrew seemed to make a similar mistake to me in the last game — caring about his people. He went to the hospital a few times to keep the plague level down; but by mid game was out of money, and unable to hire those all-important extra people.

I really like Notre Dame — I love the card-drafting, and you're not really dealing with any big numbers — you've only ever got a few coins and cubes at your disposal, and a choice of three cards (of which you only play two anyway) each turn.
Despite the big imbalance in points (Andrew was clearly lagging by the mid-game, with no real chance to catch up) it makes a good two-player game, one which would be far more tightly fought if we both had a few more games under our belts. And it took just under an hour to play, incuding set-up.

In some ways, I'm more keen to get Notre Dame to the table again than Alien Frontiers — that might change once we play a four player game of the latter, I guess. Just goes to show, newer and shinier isn't necessarily better. Sometimes some scuffed bits of cardboard and a few wooden cubes are all you need to have fun. Oh, and a well-designed game.

12 comments:

  1. Notre Dame is very unforgiving once you fall behind. The park seems very powerful, while the hospital just gets in the way. And what's up with that hotel? It doesn't seem to do anything. But I was stymied by my compassion in trying to cure the plague. As I said during the game "French people die all the time, don't make a fuss about it." If only I heeded my own words.

    Alien Frontier needs more people, but at no point did I feel out of the game, despite always being a dice less than Joe, and that's a good thing. I think both deserve closer inspection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes AF is a very balanced game - you had more alien tech cards, giving your fewer dice a little more flexibility. I. Like the scoreboard too, which gives a snapshot of the current scores; we switched lead several times.

    With 4 players, all 8 territories would get snapped up, and then players would jockey for control of each which would add to the sense of struggling over those precious points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will Alien Frontier fall to the curse of the fantasy/sci-fi themed games? Smallworld - disliked. Robo Rally - loathed. Thunderstone - played once. Race for the Galaxy - never played at a games night. Only Galaxy Trucker seems to buck this trend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You forgot Battlestar Galactica - reviled.

    Nah the theme is fairly unobtrusive. And its very much your '50s sci-fi rather than anything too nerdy/geeky. I can see the talk of 'Alien Tech' cards may have rung alarm bells, but it's okay. It's good sci-fi . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alien Frontier is good, but I wouldn't necessarily say it was fun.

    But I'm assuming that Joe only bought Alien Frontier as a warm up to High Frontier, right? We've colonised the moon, let's see what the Oort cloud has to offer us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We crossed the nerd frontier a while back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well remembered on BSG. That really was a game for people who love rules.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I reckon BSG was a very accurate simulation of the tension, paranoia, extended periods of boredom and misery that the characters in the series faced. I never want to play it again...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I played BSG with a group of people that claimed they loved it. Most of them spent the game moaning and all generally agreed that the end was truly unsatisfying. A game really for the fanboys of the series.

    I really wanted to like Smallworld but it just didn't work. If they had just thought of a better mechanism for combat it would have made a massive difference.

    I've played RFTG several times and had no idea what was going on. I even printed out the rules to learn.

    I thought Lord of the Rings sucked too! Talisman was awesome when I was 16 but didn't survive time and better board games. Block Mania was a nice concept but had way too many rules and a broken control points mechanic. Supremacy looked lovely but ultimately was just risk with money. Speaking of Risk, the 2210AD version is supposed to be quite good......

    I really liked Dungeon Lords http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/45315/dungeon-lords
    but I was told it was out of print....

    I think the general rule applies though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was lied to. Dungeon Lords is still in print and available from amazon...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked Lord of the Rings! Not a classic admittedly, but a nice combo of individual strategy and group co-operation, Block Mania... jeez, I still have nightmares about that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chris, your experience of Small World is very much in tune with mine. Funny, Cuz in Area 51 expressed shock and surprise at our antipathy for Small World again yesterday, despite the fact that I've had that conversation with him several times. Them as loves it just LOVES it.
    It's curious that it doesn't click for any of us. We clearly have higher standards than your average geek.
    Not having had the 'pleasure' of BSG I can't talk, but it doesn't appeal to me. I still remember the noises coming from the table where it was being played at Stabcon last Jan. Not pleasant.

    ReplyDelete