Monday 25 July 2011

I'm the Boss. And I'm Fired.

Various calendar-based shenanigans meant Games Night was moved to Monday this week, and while waiting for Sam (me) to turn up, Joe hosted Adam, Hannah, Quentin and Andrew in a warm-up game of No Thanks, which I believe Hannah won but it's several beers and fatigue levels later so I could be wrong. Put me right in the comments and I'll edit.

Anyway, that little appetiser out the way and we moved on to the main course, which tonight was the much-championed (by Joe) and much-derided (by me) I'm the Boss, the game of deal, counter-deal, and counter-counter-deal. In fairness to both of us our stances were exaggerated for blog-effect, but the truth of the matter was we were both right. The game does start out fun - if a little cagey - but turns in to a bit of a grind, especially the protracted end by which time we were all kind of praying for it to be over. My own plan of establishing a fantastic hand in order to dominate the last couple of deals were stymied by my lack of discipline. Adam had no such problems, and despite the repeated warnings of Andrew - "it's not Ticket to Ride, you know!" he hoarded cards, built a strong hand, and what do you know, dominated the last few rounds to clean up, taking first place ahead of canny Quentin.

Interestingly, it was really hard to call who'd won until we counted up, and as I found last time we played it, Hannah's early lead counted against her as people were reluctant to do business with the perceived chip leader, and I don't think I was alone in believing Joe was doing much better than he actually was. But overall, it did feel a bit of damp squib and I don't think anyone will be in a massive hurry to play it again.

Adam 50
Quent 49
Hannah 43
Sam 40
Joe 32
Andrew 24

Hannah had a date with a waste disposal unit so had to leave, and having forgotten her keys Adam soon followed her, keeping his ratio intact. It was left to the four of us to ponder over the intracacies of Reiner Knizia's Poison, still a bit of a mystery after several plays. So I'm not claiming total credit for my win, but win I did, though it was closer than it looks as Quentin and I entered the last round only a point apart:

Sam 14
Quent 22
Joe 34
Andrew 37

So possibly the last of I'm the Boss, but Poison remains a favourite. And Jonny already knows it!


The leaderboard...


PlayedPointsRatio
Adam10555.5
Joe1142.53.86
Sam9384.22
Andrew1130.52.8
Quentin417.54.37
Jonny415.53.9
Steve4153.75
Hannah14.54.5
Matilda11.51.5

8 comments:

  1. Good title.

    I remember the positions, but not the scores of No Thanks, which was Hannah, Joe, Quentin, Adam, me. Shall we make it leaderboard?

    I enjoyed the first part of I'm The Boss, but I was then beached like a dying whale on the coast of Adam's collection of "I'm the boss" cards. Since he was always the boss, I couldn't build up my hand at all, and was reliant on the kindness of my opponents. And, in retrospect, why did we gang up on Hannah, when Adam needed to be stopped?

    Poison remains a game of luck for me, and I am always undone by one bad round that leaves me in a hopeless position.

    So three last places for me, but I don't go to games night for the glory. I go for the company. And the chance to see Joe's dog eat half a slug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or say hello in the style of a Victorian explorer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. re: I'm the Boss, as I noted last night I did think the turn order hopping around according to who was the last 'boss' hampered those with a small hand - Andrew and I were waiting a long time to pick up cards Though to be fair it didn't seem to to Q any harm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the boss - poison?
    No thanks.
    I wonder if there's supposed to be a hand limit - I'll check tonight. There's a nice sense of panic in those last few rounds, knowing that the game might end after the current deal (or praying) - do you risk it and hold on to your handful of cards, or wade in. I agree the missing a turn thing is harsh - perhaps everyone who misses a turn should be allowed to take two cards. It was much less fun than I expected; a little too old-school; the search for a great 6-player continues...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think if we played it again we might find that the early deals get done quicker and everyone/more people followed Adam's card-collecting strategy and there'd be *even more* tension on those final hands.

    It IS Ticket to Ride after all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the boss does seem like a pretty accurate simulation of corporate raiding:

    - If you've got the right cards (the right contacts) you can make a killing
    - The turn order skipping around because of I am the Boss cards can mean you can get cards in an entirely arbitrary manor (just like going to the wrong school or marrying the daughter of the wrong CEO - you know!)
    - It's really fun if you're doing well or sitting on good cards or sabotaging someone elses deal, but it's boring if you aren't...

    Like with Battlestar Galactica, being an accurate sim doesn't make it fun...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops, just checked the rules — "No player may have more than 12 influence cards". That would have curbed some of the excesses . . .
    I think that that, combined with a house rule that players who miss a turn get to pick up 2 cards, might make it the best game in the world!

    No?

    ReplyDelete
  8. If it is, I'm sending myself on holiday.

    ReplyDelete