Wednesday 21 September 2011

From Stone to Chrome

Imagine the scene. A prehistoric landscape. A tribe of hunter gatherers are tracking wildebeest for food. Suddenly there’s a rippling in the space-time continuum and, with senses alert, the Neanderthals are able to make out the words “Fucking Hell!!” drifting towards them from across the millennia.

That would be Quentin, who took a while to get his flicking skills under control this evening, for half the table had chosen Ascending Empires as one of the games of the evening. There were seven of us – six regulars plus a new face to be carved on the Games Night News mountainside: Andy. We split into groups of four and three. The four of us (myself, Joe, Quentin and Steve) chose gleaming hi-tech Ascending Empires. Sam and Adam taught Andy the joys of Stone Age. I’ll leave it to them to give a fuller report of Andy’s debut in the comments. Meanwhile, these were the scores:

Adam 145
Sam 123
Andy 120

With two old hands (Steve and Joe) and two newbies (me and Quentin) the rules of AE were quickly explained before we set off into the galaxy. At first it was a very cordial affair until I made the mistake of choosing to approach an un-colonized planet in Quentin’s quadrant. He took this to be an act of agression and so swiftly landed on the planet in question. Somewhat offended, I instead took a poorly defended planet of his, which then escalated into a war between the two of us, with neither wishing to lose face by backing down, yet also both of us aware that Joe and Steve were doing somewhat better than us.

Steve started well and stayed that way. He even had time to offer me advice, and also casually give away the colour of a still-to-be-identified planet. By the end of the game he had a big spaceship and it would’ve been more effective with more accurate flicking. But it was Joe who really suffered from “twitch-finger”. He spent two whole turns trying to land two ships on a barely-defended planet of Quentin’s but only succeded in going around it in eccentric orbits until Steve came along and calmly shot him out of the sky.

When the game ended, Steve was a clear winner with Joe a relatively comfortable second. I credit my third place to mining, which is all I could do in between fighting off hordes of Quentin’s space fighters. Quentin came fourth, but proclaimed that he’d enjoyed the evening. I also enjoyed Ascending Empires, but for such a fast moving game, it’s quite long, and I found it a little tiresome towards the end. Perhaps I was just battle-weary. But Joe’s comedy flicking is certainly worth seeing.

Steve 30
Joe 20
Andrew 18
Quentin 14

The Stone Age had long since passed by the time we’d ended Ascending Empires, and they’d managed to squeeze in a game of Tsuro.

Sam
Andy/Adam

With time running out beofre the end of the season, you have to say that Adam has it all wrapped up at the top. Meanwhile, Steve takes the hotly disputed 7th place from Jonny while Andy crashes in at number 9.

The leaderboard...
PlayedPointsRatio
Adam231114.86
Sam25103.54.14
Joe19784.11
Andrew2375.53.28
Hannah1044.54.45
Quentin937.54.17
Steve9333.67
Jonny7284
Andy273.5
Paul26.53.25
Chris25.52.75
Sally13.53.5
Matilda11.51.5

19 comments:

  1. It's not too late! If a terrible accident befell Adam and then I won a couple of 6-player games, we could freshen this whole thing up a bit.

    Last time I played Stone Age I proclaimed that farms and farm multipliers were the route to glory, and Joe promptly won with an axe factory. This time I pooh-poohed the idea of huts, and Adam - on purpose, you can be sure - won with bastard huts. Grrr. Next time I'll make sure I badmouth my own system, then I win either way.

    Andy Mosse made a very assured debut I think; sure, he asked for advice and he struggled to feed his followers at times, but finishing only 25 points behind Adam is no mean feat for a debutant. Hopefully he'll be back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great evening, thanks Sam. I hope Andy didn't go away thinking I'm some sort of boardgame obsessive — the appearance of my 'dealer' half way through the evening, dropping off fresh supplies from Cardiff, might have given him a false impression of what is, at most, a mildly diverting interest in cardboard and wooden cubes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're only fooling yourself Joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I like the way Sam's mind is working...

    I'd suggest some sort of intervention for Joe if we didn't benefit so from his habit.

    I think I did pretty well with the rolling last night, while Andy didn't have any luck. He asked all the right questions though - didn't seem like he'd only ever played Settlers. I liked the "I'll go here to make sure the game doesn't end this turn" / "Actually I'll end the game now" move - with more luck rolling for clay it could have paid off...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking at the "These are the games" list I think another leaderboard is possible:

    Plays . Game
    9 . . . . . Poison
    8 . . . . . Seven Wonders
    8 . . . . . Stone Age
    8 . . . . . Ticket To Ride
    8 . . . . . Tinners' Trail
    7 . . . . . Tsuro
    5 . . . . . Brass
    5 . . . . . Colosseum
    4 . . . . . For Sale
    4 . . . . . No Thanks
    4 . . . . . Notre Dame
    4 . . . . . Trans Europa
    3 . . . . . Agricola
    3 . . . . . Ascending Empires
    3 . . . . . London
    3 . . . . . Medici
    3 . . . . . Pergamon
    3 . . . . . Ra
    3 . . . . . Roll Through The Ages
    3 . . . . . Trans America
    3 . . . . . Troyes
    3 . . . . . Year of the Dragon

    (although the number can sometimes just be for mentions, not plays)

    So Stone Age, Ticket to Ride and Tinners' Trail are favourites, Poison fits in just nicely around bigger games and we played 7 wonders a lot before the whole two-games-one-table idea took off.

    But which games have we neglected? Agricola only on three plays? Caylus doesn't make the top 20. Neither do St Petersburg, Thurn und Taxis, Galaxy Truckers and Carcassonne.

    Which games deserve to be higher up?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the high ticket to ride score comes off a lot of non leader board playing over at Bracknell and your house.

    Some times though it's good to play games a few times close together to allow the rules and tactics to bed in.

    I've always wanted to play Taxis and Thurn. Whats that like?

    ReplyDelete
  7. To paraphrase Gary Lineker: Agricola is a simple game. You spend two hours building a farm and at the end Adam wins.

    But yeah, it deserves more plays than it gets.

    Chris is right about Ticket to Ride, I do like it but it wouldn't be in my personal top ten. Tsuro also is there because of it's convenience in terms of shortness and amount of players, but swap these two for Agricola and another - Year of the Dragon, maybe? - and I'd say it's a pretty sound top ten.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agricola was played a lot pre-GNN, which perhaps explains why it's not so common now. It would be nice to play it more often. I'm less keen on Carcassone, though. Wouldn't mind another go at El Grande, just to see if it's as good as I remember.

    Now, to really understand a game's popularity, you should include its length as a variable...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed Carcassone in the past but for some reason it feels like it should stay there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thurn and Taxis is pretty gentle, but gently pretty.
    It's like Ticket to Ride with a bit of area control mixed in.
    I like it a lot personally; but it's a bit light for games night. Works well as a a two player 'race' for points.

    ReplyDelete
  11. More disturbing still is the list of games we own but HAVEN'T played yet:


    Eurorails
    Few Acres of Snow (not counting my ex-GNN game)
    First Train to Nuremberg
    At the Gates of Loyang
    Hansa Teutonica
    High Frontier
    Maria
    Shadows over Cameltoe
    Space Alert
    Taj Mahal
    Tigris & Euphrates
    Troyes
    Twilight Struggle

    I'm sure I'm forgetting a few . . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please tell me that was an unintended typo....

    First train looks like it needs a big intake of breath before you start playing. Actually that list does represent the more complicated board game. Maybe the appetite on a games night is for medium to medium heavy.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome typo, Joe.

    There are some corkers there (games), and Joe did forget Waterloo as well, which is fairly immense. And Eketorp and Cuba, which we bought just the other day after a tip-off through Joe's GNN network. I've mooted Space Alert once or twice but nobody seems mad-keen on cooperative games.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like co-op games. Pandemic is great. A bit tricky to work out the points on the Leaderboard, though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You mean my BGG network shurely.
    And the typo was deliberate of course!!
    Any other adults only versions of games out there?
    Galaxy F . . .
    no

    no.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Uh oh - Joe's gone to the games shop again. That's 3 new games in the last 4 days!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Objection!!! I have to take issue with the word "new",having pledged Charlotte that I would buy no "new" games until next year.
    Second-hand games are allowed, and I take that to include heavily-discounted games. Why, you ask?
    Because the reason I requested the 'second-hand exclusion' from the pledge was in case I saw a game in a charity shop ludicrously cheap (hey! Ludicrous — good name for a game!).

    Just imagine wandering past Heart Foundation or Spastics Society and spotting Die Mächer in the window; It would be a CRIME to pass by such an absolute bargain — anyone can see that.
    What I hadn't imagined is that such bargains would also appear in non-second-hand form. But I was wrong. First Eurorails for £15 in a bookshop in Cardiff. And then, on wednesday morning, someone posted on BGG that The Works (a discount/remainders outlet in Broadmead) had a number of bonafide German games for £7.99. Sure enough, Notre Dame, Cuba, Royal Palace and a few others. Now COME ON! Who would begrudge me a few coppers, or my kids having to go without school dinners for a week or so.
    I thought so.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bad decision to defend yourself, Mr Berger; those are the words of a desperate man.

    The prosecution rests.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ok, ok, the truth is I'm as bad as you are.

    Nearly.

    ReplyDelete