Tuesday 27 September 2011

Season ends on an Indian Summer

The weather was balmy and warm, and while we enjoyed an Indian Summer outside, we also enjoyed an evening of Taj Mahal inside. I'll admit to feelings of apprehension as the board was set up on Sam's kitchen table but with four out of the five of us (myself, Sam, Quentin, Adam and Joe) keen to try, it was the only choice especially after the buzz created by last night's post.

But they say you learn from your mistakes, and since I made many mistakes last night, I must have learnt a lot. Early honours went to Sam, who sped off with the apparent aim of repeating his recent victory. I got into an early scrap with Joe, but with five players it was rare that there wasn't some kind of battle for one item or another during each round.

Halfway through, Quentin sat back and declared that he now understood the rules and that he thought it was a very clever game. Adam played a wildly romantic game, refusing to back down on battles, even if it left him with only two cards. Despite his apparent confusion with the rules, he proved himself to be the king of links, with a snaking line of palaces crossing many provinces which helped him pick up many points each time he added to it.

Meanwhile, I carefully nurtured my hand of cards which left me in a position of power for most of the later part of the game. By then I was able to exploit my collection of elephants and pick up some goods in several late rounds which catapulted me up the score track.

Andrew 60
Adam 40
Sam 36
Quentin 36
Joe 32

The offer of another quick game was declined by Sam who was suffering from daddy-fatigue and needed an early night, and so we went out into the sweet warm September evening with another season finished.

So, all that remains are the scores for these past three months. It's been another successful season for Adam, taking first in Points, ratio, absolute points (all points scored in a game added together) and in points weighted by length of game. Sam came second, and I scraped a third place position right at the end with my sudden run of form (three wins out of four). Hannah came first out of the irregulars, with Quentin a close second.

However, there was a surprise winner in the absolute points ratio in the shape of Paul, who scored an average 61.5 points in his two games. And Quentin won points ratio for games weighted according to length, showing his preference for long, involved tactical battles.

I won by points weighted by how well/badly players did last season, indicating that I made the best improvement in the last few months. But it's a sobering sight to see Adam in second place even on a leaderboard where he's penalised the most! Jonny won points ratio on this scale, coming away with a very creditable five points on average. Finally comes the Olympic style leaderboard, which shows Adam and Sam in first and second as usual, but also Hannah in third – clearly demonstrating her skill at table-top strategy and resource-management.


The leaderboard...
PlayedPointsRatioAbsoluteAbs rationWeightWt. ratioLengthLth. ratio
Adam241164.83107151694.3188.33.68
Sam26107.54.1398242.7674.1984.53.25
Andrew2481.53.45672772.54.5361.32.56
Joe2080457430.2150.53.37703.35
Hannah1044.54.455045621.53.5830.92.81
Quentin1041.54.1535139223.1439.73.97
Steve9333.672563228.54.0732.53.61
Jonny728428440.5725526.53.78
Andy273.5120N/A3N/A42
Paul26.53.2512361.56.53.254.752.38
Chris25.52.75116585.52.7552.5
Sally13.53.5N/AN/AN/AN/A0.88N/A
Matilda11.51.5N/AN/AN/AN/A0.5N/A

The Olympic leaderboard...
GoldSilverBronze
Adam1194
Sam963
Hannah413
Joe384
Andrew3211
Steve204
Quentin153
Jonny122
Andy011
Paul010
Sally001

14 comments:

  1. Thanks to Andrew for such incredible dedication and attention to detail!

    Well done Adam - most impressive performance from him I think was last night - he may not have won but he still cantered to a comfortable second on his debut, despite looking like death. (My 'terrible accident' plan turned out to be a biological near-miss.)

    I do like Taj Mahal. I think I'm going to flail and fail at it now everyone is up to speed, but it is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes very well done Andrew, both for your storming win and services to the GNN leaderboard.

    Taj Mahal didn't quite click for me, as may be evidenced by my shoddy score; this despite Sam's rules breakdown in the previous post, which made far more sense to me this morning than yesterday.
    Definitely want to play again. Perhaps this time with a little less of the Innes & Gunn 6.6% beer in me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dunno Joe, one of the highlights of the evening was your glazed expression of surprise at finding it was your turn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well if you really like it I can do that all the time. You just gotta keep me loaded, baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hannah will approve of the Olympic medal table. Andrew, can I have a copy of the spreadsheet to play with?

    Should the handicap system for next term be alcohol based?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll send over the spreadsheet now. But I should point out there are other scoring systems that I didn't write up because Adam won those too, and I was trying to spread the joy of winning as much as poss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, Joe. I tried to make you win something, but I just couldn't. Maybe next season, though.

    By the way, I have a question about the rules. At the end, everyone scores bonus points according to the most common colour card in their hand. But I have a dim memory that Chris said "if two people have the same colour, then it doesn't count" so perhaps it should be the player with the most of one colour gets the bonus points? Could someone check when they have a second?

    ReplyDelete
  8. And another thing: last season, Adam's points ratio was 4.84, and this season it's 4.83. So we're slowly catching him up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Except that EVERYBODY'S ratio has dropped since last season - bar Jonny. Keep an eye on that one.

    I'll look into Taj and get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So the alcohol-based handicap system would work by everyone having to down an amount of alcohol at the start of each evening equivalent to their ratio from last season. Any takers?

    Joe, do you think Matilda will be happy to have a shot and a half of Strategy Inhibitor next time she wants to play?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alcohol should be based on a confidence versus control scale. So for instance +1 drink gives -1 to your ratio, because it's helped you relax. Then +2 drinks would be -2. But if you hit three drinks, then you've reached the confidence v control tipping point* and you go immediately to zero effect on your ratio. 4 drinks? You're now working at a disadvantage and your ratio goes to +1. Now there's no turning back, keep drinking and eventually your scale adjustments will more than make up for the fact you've not only lost, you're actually asleep with your face in a pile of resources.

    What I like about this system is that it rewards self-abuse.


    * I have, anyway

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete