Wednesday 22 February 2012

Through a Brass Darkly

When I arrived, I was given pancakes and a seat at the family table. What a happy start to what was to be a long evening. Since we were just three (Joe, Adam and myself) we chose our favourite on-line distraction: Brass. Although Martin Wallace's game is more like a collection of rules that don't fit together properly, we still found it had an allure that we couldn't resist. And so we donned our imaginary stove pipe hats and mutton chops and stood around, clutching our lapels and moaning about price of building t' cotton mill.

The first thing we noticed was how rusty we were regarding the rules. We were used to the internet dealing out cards, giving us money and telling us when we couldn't do things, so it took a while to get going. And then, once we were going, it took a while to keep going.

I went for my usual shipyard tactic which I think I've got down to a fine art (three out of four shipyards built). That fact that I still came last is the final nail in its coffin. It don't think I'll be going for that strategy again.

Really, the evening was between Adam and Joe. I wish I'd taken notes of what they were doing because, thinking back, I have no idea. They looked at the rule book a lot. Maybe that helped.

At the halfway point, I was in the lead, but that was thanks to my network of canals which get removed at that point. I started the second half with few industries on the board, while Adam had plenty of buildings scattered about. Joe trod a path somewhere between us throughout the evening.

By the end, Adam must've been confident in winning since he was giving both me and Joe advice so we could end sooner. Even with that help, we completed the game at quarter past midnight. We were a little older (by four hours, to be exact), a little wiser and quite a lot puzzled as to how it took so long.

Adam 204 (a new high score!)
Joe 184
Andrew 165 (and a personal best for me)

Adam leaps up the form table thanks to losing a fifth place result and replacing it with a shiny new first place.







Points
Sam1 2 1 3 2 9
Adam1 2 1 4 2 10
Joe2 4 3 3 1 13
Steve 4 4 112 13*
Jonny1 3 5 3 3 15
Andrew3 3 4 2 3 15
Anja2244517
Quentin1355519
Hannah2355520


* the decay rule –people with five results registered, after a while, will find their score go down one point per week if they don't attend for three weeks. It may sound harsh, but it stops the regulars getting resentful. If they attend another evening, all decay points are removed.

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the game last night - I think it makes more sense played in the flesh over a mere four hours rather than via the web over a week or more. Your strategies grow and change organically rather than having to work out where you are every time you log on...

    Also my work suffers while I'm waiting for the next move.

    ps. If I'd known we'd play Brass yesterday morning I'd have shaved some real mutton chops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say sorry I missed it, but at four hours I'm not so sure...

    Still spluttering but hope to be back next Tuesday. Having opened my birthday presents today, I'm three games up; Mord im Orosa from Joe, Macao from Chris and the insane looking Pitch Cars from Sally and the (little) boys.

    Only thing is, the cupboard is reaching tipping point...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eee bah gum etc etc.
    Ah Brass. What an epic. What a monster. We did ourselves no favours by using stacks of old pennies for money — the constant counting up must have added considerably to the play time. Poker chips next time.

    Andrew, don't go putting Sam off with your talk of it being a collection of rules in search of a game (I'm paraphrasing and changing the snese of what you intended) — there is a fantastic game nestled amongst the caveats, as we rediscovered last night.

    Despite my protestations that we can always play Brass online in a fraction of the time and with the computer telling us when we've got the rules wrong, it was lovely to get it to the table. Ryan Sturm has his Caylebration, one day a year when he encourages people to play Caylus. We should do likewise with Brass; once a year, playing it in person makes for a great evening. Thanks for talking me into it.

    And well done Adam on a very convincing win. I couldn't tell how everyone was doing, but I'm sure Adam had a pretty good idea, looking back on it.
    Top marks everyone, and here's to next year's Bra-nival. No, um, Carniv-ass. No.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't really know who had what points at the end - I was worried about your final cotton sale until we got the scores.

    And Sam, I'm sure you'd like it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I agree — it's everything you like about Tinners Trail, Sam, with far more cause and effect, interaction and not an auction in sight!

    You know, in that last round I was about to spend both cards on some poxy railways until you pointed out I could build another mill, Adam.

    ReplyDelete