Tuesday 14 February 2012

Nein Danke please, we're British

Due to Valentine's Day, games night was moved forward one night this week. This meant for the first part of the games night, I was absent. So while I was struggling with some life drawing, Joe, Adam and Sam struggled with Condottiere. Although I wasn't there, Sam told me that he blames his poor showing on a mistake. After Joe had passed Sam believed he'd won and withdrew a card. But this then left him weaker than Joe, allowing him an early win. As it was, this was enough of an advantage for Joe to continue his run of good form and take the win.

1st Joe
2nd Adam
3rd Sam

Then I arrived at just the right time, and I sorted myself out while Adam was taken through the rules of The Downfall of Pompeii.

We began by suspecting that Adam's innate gaming sense would give him an advantage with this game's unique "populate, then de-populate" mechanism, so he was the initial target of any sacrifices to the volcano. Then we noticed Joe had a lot of people on the board, so he became Public Enemy Number One. After a short while, we saw that Sam was in a strong position, but by then it was too late to do anything about it. I snuck by without anyone noticing.

Sam 9
Andrew 8
Joe 7
Adam 6

After this, a new game was brought to the table. 6Nimmt (which means "Take Six", according to the internet) which is a cross between Poison and Sevens. We tiptoed through the apparently simple rules, but Adam obviously had a better grasp than the rest of us as he ran out as a winner with perhaps the largest winning margin that GNN has ever seen.

Adam 1
Sam 50
Joe 61
Andrew 70

With three games under our belt, we were keen for a fourth game to be played. So, as a nightcap, No Thanks was brought out. The predominant feature of this game is for other people to mock my apparent lack of understanding of the strategy of the game, as I happily pick up low-scoring cards with coins on. But this time, for once, someone else had a weaker plan than mine. Which means, of the three players that laughed at me for picking cards up voluntarily, only two had any justification. To avoid any shame on his part, the name of the third player will not be revealed.

Sam 27
Adam 39
Andrew 46
Joe 62

On the form table, Sam reclaims top spot, while Adam is in serious danger of dropping a place down to an unthinkable fifth.







Points
Sam1 2 1 3 2 9
Joe4 3 3 1 1 12
Steve 4 4 112 12
Adam2 1 4 2 514
Jonny1 3 5 3 3 15
Andrew3 4 2 3 4 16
Anja2244517
Quentin1355519
Hannah2355520

3 comments:

  1. It's true, I did the silliest move ever in Condotierre. But I might have finished third anyway, this game encourages one to cling on in rounds where you should really bail...

    ReplyDelete
  2. V nice evening though, thanks chaps

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for coming guys — was nice to give the green baize (synthetic felt) it's inaugural outing. Course I have been putting it out to play through games on my own, but it's not quite the same. Actually it's pathetic. Think I'll stop wearing the green visor.
    Four games!!! All of them fairly lightweight, but that was nice for a change. I can't figure out what I should have been doing in 6Nimmt, but it seemed like fun. Very Poison-esque, but the fact that it plays with up to 10 is a boon.

    Enjoyed the added excitement of the Maths Trade results too.

    ReplyDelete