Thursday 20 December 2012

How not to play boardgames.

So I checked the blog and it was about a month ago that the Bracknell three last played Puerto Rico and seeing as we had all stated that we wanted to play it again soon before we forgot the rules that's what we did. However we did forget the rules and after about five turns we collectively began to scour the board looking for ways to generate money. It didn't make sense, it was impossible, something wasn't right. Yes, it turns out that if you don't put dubloons on the roles you don't use each turn, the game is pretty much unplayable.

So what to do. A few half bottomed suggestions later we were starting again. Only this time when we started didn't set the plantation stacks up right. Nor did we set aside 55 colonists. There was still about 40 left when Paul suddenly realised. A quick tot up showed that we had gone 8 over. We ended the game right then and totalled up the scores. Even starting again did little for my score...

James - 38
Paul - 36
Chris - 19

It left an unsatisfactory taste in the mouth, (Unlike the Finest mince pies I bought) so we played Trans Europa to make up for it. Twice.

Paul - 1
James - 6
Chris - 13

Chris - 1
Paul - 8
James - 12

It wasn't until everybody left that I realised we had been doing the scoring the wrong way round. Not that it makes a difference really but still, not a good night for the rules!

3 comments:

  1. That's a shame. Puerto Rico is a good game! It got me thinking though how GNN would function without The Knowledge, lead game-purchaser and almost-sole rules-learner. I should have included a thank-you to Joe in Andrew's end of season post... thanks Joe!

    So, a multiple salvo of bad rule implementation is pretty impressive. But Andrew's infamous assassination in Citadels is still the one to beat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work guys! And a timely reminder from Sam this festive season to remember Joe's hard work in keeping GNN going.

    Having said that, I really don't care for Puerto Rico. The two parts (acquisition and using buildings) just don't seem to go together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pshaw! You guys - I enjoy it.
    And Puerto Rico is one game I haven't learned the rules to. Like you Andrew, I'm ambivalent about it - I've only played once, and it was against Adam who is an seasoned player. Even those who like it usually add the caveat that unless all players are playing at a similar level it kind of breaks down, and I think that affected our play. It didn't totally grab me.

    Your rules-crash made me laugh, Chris - though those Alea rulebooks are dense if I remember correctly. Yes Andrew drinking from his own poisoned cup in Citadels was a classic. I spotted a small rule we had wrong in Snowdonia actually - each station card shows how many rubble cards precede it (ie one or two), and when we took out passing loop station because we were three players, we didn't remove one of the rubble cards. We played with extra rubble! Guess that might have made it a tiny bit harder for Sam and I to accrue enough rubble for our bonuses, but not a huge problem.

    ReplyDelete