Saturday 1 September 2018

Putting down Root

Saturday, and Andrew and Ian joined Stan and I for our first crack at four-player Root. This has been the hit of the household here with Stan requesting it every day and I've been enjoying it as much as he has. Last night was something like our ninth play, but for Andrew and Ian it was their first, and Root's asymmetry can initially be quite bewildering.

I went through each faction in as much detail as I could, and assigned Andrew the Eyrie (expand aggressively!) and Ian the Marquise de Cat (build aggressively!) whilst Stan took his usual Vagabond (sneak in and out the trees like a sneaky thing) role and I was the Woodland Alliance (spread sympathy, cause revolts).


What I left out - I only realised writing this up - was encouraging them to begin at full pelt. Root doesn't tend to reward an exploratory start, as I have found to my cost more than once, and Andrew's gentle perambulations in the south-west corner of the woods were not racking him up points. Ian meanwhile seemed foxed by the number of options - he needed to build, but which buildings? Sawmills for wood, Recruitment stations for more warriors, or Workshops for crafting cards (and scoring points).

Stanley foraged into the lead even without going aggressive, accumulating items in his satchel and picking off a couple of Quests. But then he went aggressive anyway, turning Andrew's birds hostile toward him - harder to move around them, but picking them off scored him points.

As the Woodland Alliance I've previously been baffled because they start with zero presence on the table and although revolts can be explosive, they don't guarantee adding a lot of warriors. Instead I focused on a more sneaky tactic of removing warriors from play to generate more sympathy, which scored me points. Despite Stan's victory, I felt pleased to end not far off the 30 point mark.


Ian and then Andrew were a bit further back, as one might expect on a first play, but neither were as moved by Root as I'd hoped - Andrew's aversion to overtly combative games reared it's genteel head and Ian said he was bemused, but open to another play. However my thoughts of another play straight away - sans Vagabond, who'd gone to bed - were a non-starter. We didn't note the scores but it was something like:

Stan - loads of points
Sam - 26
Ian - 18
Andrew -16

Instead after a cupboard perusal we went for the gentler - or at least, less fighty - Calimala. This hasn't hit the table enough in my opinion. Although we know better than to suggest it's the Euro Martin might like, it is probably the Euro Martin might choose to suffer over other Euros. Maybe.


At heart it's a basic area-majority game, but the two things that elevate it are the action mechanism - take an action someone took before you, and they get to do it again - and the scoring, which dawdles for a while before toppling like a domino rally. Also, the current player gets to hold a small wooden version of Death.


Again Ian seemed almost bamboozled by his options, only with less Cat. He triggered his own previously-taken actions several times, which served him well early in the game. But as we positively rampaged through the second half of the scoring rounds he fell away somewhat. Then Andrew and Ian's endgame scoring cards both helped me more than they helped them, and I claimed a convincing win.

It was only half ten but I was pretty fatigued at this point and we called an end to the evening. Glad Calimala went down well, and thanks for giving Root a go chaps!

11 comments:

  1. I'm afraid Root didn't grab me at all. It may have partly been because of the hype, but it was mostly the fact that it was the third feisty combative game for me in as many games nights. It was exactly what I didn't need, and halfway through I was bored enough to make a pyramid with my unused pieces.

    Calimala was, I think, more fun as we stumbled over each other on our way to the next scoring round. It's more like treading on each other's toes instead of facing each other down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm feisty and combative. Let me at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy Martin

      Delete
    2. This was a good read: https://ludemeblog.wordpress.com/2018/08/30/transition-consternation-and-root/

      Delete
    3. That is a good read! And I agree with all of it (outside of the jaded intro of course. Some of us just like trying new stuff! :-P )

      Delete
    4. After reading this post and that other blog the fact that its a war-game in a dress interests me. I like a bit of conflict in my games, anything that stops them being multiplayer solitaire.

      Although that bloggers intro was a little ranty I sympathised with a lot of it. Its kind of why I actively avoid Kickstarter... I hope this bit at the end "Mike is stakeholder-owner of the Grimstone© brand of gaming hotness" was ironic....

      Delete
    5. It was indeed :)

      Sam, I don't think he was saying anyone else should be as jaded as he is, but you have to admit there's a lot of cack out there!

      Delete
    6. Oh, agreed. I do look at Kickstarter a lot but often I can tell from just the title, the language of it, or the focus on miniatures that it's going to be cack. Or something eerily reminiscent of many previously-existing games.

      Delete
  3. Sorry Andrew I wasn’t aware you’d been so combative recently! I assume that’s ToC and Gheos? I would have suggested you play the Vagabond. He can slip in and out of things and avoid combat entirely if you choose...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't mind Root. I'm intrigued more than anything. Just not sure I really got it.

    That isit asymmetric is quite nice though, if everyone had been playing the same as I it would be fairly limited. Having other stuff going on makes it more interesting. Or baffling.

    I think I started to work out what strategy I should have used later on, but it was far too late by that point.

    I'd probably like to play again, but I can't say I'm a fan just yet. Thanks for the play though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't got it either, not entirely anyway. I know how all the four basic factions work, but the game plays very differently (with 2 or 3 players, and most have my games have been with 2) depending on which factions play. Without the Marquise for instance the game is very open at the start. Without the Eyrie the other factions seem inclined to gang up on the Marquise. It's really interesting.

      I can see why it's not Andrew's cup of tea but I think you would probably enjoy it a lot Ian, with a bit of familiarity.

      Delete