Sunday 14 October 2018

GNN Cryptic Crossword 001

In honour of impending Novocon2018, or autumn, or nothing in particular - I give you the inaugural GNN-themed cryptic crossword. It will appeal to some more than others, and don't feel obliged to give it a go if you don't fancy it. It's actually the first ever crossword I've written, so there may well be mistakes but I've tried to be thorough in my checking - it was a great way to distract myself on a bumpy flight to and from Frankfurt this weekend.

Not all the clues are relevant to games, but I've tried where possible to make some connections.
And the instruction 'Eight solutions (four across and four down) are of a kind, and lack further definition' means that as well as the general theme, eight solutions are of a specific type, and their clues only have a cryptic definition, no literal.

Comment if you want hints, or anything needs explaining, and I hope you enjoy it!



4 comments:

  1. Oops - 25 across is 9 letters not 8...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Following last night's regular Tuesday night bash, this crossword has now been generally done by those keen on such things. I'm afraid there were a couple more errors, which I'm recording here - this won't happen on future ones, it's a breach of the sacred bond of trust between setter and solver.

    The solution to 17 down, Omelette, was wrongly spelled Omellete, which is how it must be spelled for the solution 25 across to fit.

    Again, 23 down Noyes was incorrectly spelled Noyse, allowing for 28 across to fit.

    For shame. Apols.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still a fantastic effort Joe 👍

    ReplyDelete