Friday 12 October 2018

Indian Plumber

Last night Chris joined Andrew and I for our occasional sorties into Euroland, this time picking Rajas of the Ganges as our main meal. It had been a while, and we needed a quick refresher on set-up before diving into the business, where we construct all manner of buildings like the most exceedingly competent handymen


I like Rajas a lot - there are a multitude of options and combining them in the best possible way shuffles your markers (money, and/or glory) along two opposing tracks - when the twain meet, the game ends. I seem to recall Adam schooling us on how he'd won convincingly, but I couldn't remember what he said. Always have dice, probably, as although there's a worker-placement thing going on there's also dice, dice, and more dice. Just like real Rajas, if you want to build a market, and trigger a glory bonus, you need to roll high. If you want to move your boat, roll low.


I focused my efforts on two dice colours (green and blue) and, though success may have been coincidental, it worked:

Sam - Raja!
Chris - Raja's assistant
Andrew - Raja you than me

Then we overcame Chris' misgivings about Cryptid and set it up again. Chris was as bamboozled as I was on my first play three plays, but now on my fourth outing to Cryptoworld, I finally had enough familiarity with the clue types to forge a sense of what was going on on the board.


I figured out the other clues and actually won the game with a proper deduction, rather than a random guess. Andrew cursed his hesitation, as he was on the trail too and nearly made the same search I did!

Sam - Crypto!
Andrew - Pipt-o
Chris - Transfixt-o

We ended a fine evening with Chris' request of Ganz Schon Clever, Wolfgang Warsch's game of bonus overload. There's no real narrative to describe here, as we are basically parcelling out dice and getting (eventually) a zillion bonuses in return. But it's a fun dice-chucker all the same.


My misspent summer playing solo paid off. it was looking a close-run thing with Chris, until - classic GNN sentence finish coming up - my fox heads came up trumps.

Sam - 271
Chris - 226
Andrew - 158

Chris pointed out I'd won all the games and for a brief moment we speculated as to whether, including Tuesday, I'd won a 'spectacular' (me) or 'smug' (Andrew and Chris) six in a row, but then we remembered that I only won one game on Tuesday. C'est la vie.

Thanks for making the trip, guys, much fun.

5 comments:

  1. Love Raja's! In fact thats why I bought a copy.... Something progressive happens every turn, its satisfying to play. I would hesitate to play it with AP prone players though. I'd say us three are possibly the least likely to suffer from it but we each had a coupe of prolonged thinking turns.
    Also its a good idea not to spend your last dice in any situation unless that move gains you more dice. Building them up again can take a couple of turns. Also once players fame and money 'engines' develop the game hastens to a quick end that can catch you out if you're a little behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I like the way it ramps up. Not quite Calimala speed but you do need to be on your toes!

      Delete
  2. Sam didn't just pip me to the post on Cryptid, he also ruined my ubermove on Rajas. My final meeple was set up to net me 18 in money, but Sam put his meeple in that very place to net him a paltry six. I mean, where's the justice there?

    But a great evening. Rajas needs more table-time and I did like Cryptid. I was torn between "two from cougars" and "one from mountains" and I was testing the mountain theory when Sam ended the game. Cheers all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see "ubermove" has entered the greater gaming terminology...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a hard time describing my thoughts on content, but I really felt I should here. Your article is really great. I like the way you wrote this information.
    plumbing north hollywood

    ReplyDelete