Thursday 21 October 2021

Fast asheep

At eight o’clock I rolled into Joe’s to find the already assembled gamers (Joe, Martin,Ian, Laura, Gareth, Sam) finishing off a game of In Vino Morte, which I think I heard someone say that Laura won, but I was too busy sorting out my drinks, so who knows?

Before that they played Cross Clues and got 24 points. The one that got away was a clue from Gareth for “Painting” and “Water” which was “colour”. Unfortunately one of the other words was “Blue” and that was enough to put them off the scent.

Finally, I sat down to play a game. While Martin enticed Sam, Laura and Gareth to play a game of Profiteers, a war game only in the sense it is set during a war. The players are simply trying to make as much money as possible, without caring who is actually winning.


Sam 33
Martin 26
Laura 6
Gareth 3

Ian, Gareth,Joe and I played the far more cuddly Sheepy Time, in which our sheep run around the board, leaping over a fence while avoiding a nightmare and the first to catch forty winks wins. It was fun in a push your luck kind of way, trying to stay one step ahead of the nightmare while also making sure you hit the right bonuses.


I was in the lead for most of the game but then Ian leapt back into contention in the final round, doing laps at an unholy rate. Joe, though, one by going furthest past his pillow. My first round was dismal and I didn't get anywhere near enough winks.



Joe, two spaces past his pillow
Ian, on his pillow
Andrew, nowhere near his pillow

With uncanny timing, the two games ended pretty much at the same time. After the usual cognitive dissonance of choosing a game, Gareth, Joe, Ian and I chose Hardback, the letter building game with a Dominion style deck-building mechanic. Draw five cards, buy extra cards with ink (but you must use those letters) and make the best word you can. Letters score either cash or points. Cash gets you better cards and points wins you the game. Sixty of them, to be exact.


At one point, Joe raised a few eyebrows when he announced he was paying an ink to draw another card from his deck. He made this plain, he said, so it didn't look like cheating in case the K (which he had just shuffled back into the newly-recycled discard pile) should come out. He then drew the K. This made it look like clever sleight of hand or an awkwardly accurate premonition.

Ian had his own moment of awkwardness when we realised halfway through the game that he’d been paying an ink to draw a card from the communal draw deck, not from his own. That did explain why his deck was so large.

However, it didn’t seem to help as he came in joint last with me. I would have been further behind were it not for a stroke of luck with my last word “FLOP” which got me 15 prestige points. Any hopes that I might pip the others to 60 were immediately dashed by Gareth who (having played PIXELS twice during the game) reached 60 points with his next word.

Gareth 60
Joe 53
Ian 51
Andrew 51

While we played that, Laura, Sam and Martin regrouped for another go at Quirky Circuits and they cleared two more tracks before Laura had to go, mindful of the changeable weather outside.


Sam and Martin then played Rosetta (twice?) and after we’d finished Hardback, as I was leaving, Martin finally guessed the word: Sacrifice. Then I set off into the evening, confident that my waterproofs would withstand the light drizzle, only for it to turn into a downspout before I got to the end of the road. After I’d left, I’m told, they played a tough game of So Clover.

Thanks Joe for hosting and thanks others for guesting. See you next week.
 

3 comments:

  1. "Martin finally guessed the word: Sacrifice."

    This is inaccurate. In fact, Gareth, who had not been playing or paying attention to the game at all, guessed the word, while I remained baffled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I see. I just heard someone say"sacrifice" and assumed the person playing the game had said it. Well done Gareth.

    ReplyDelete