Sunday 9 July 2023

Chippencon!

Friday

With Paul J the quiet instigator of the idea, the old London branch of GNN coalesced this weekend at Chris's house in Chippenham: as well as the host, Paul J and myself there was Paul H for the duration, Stuart on Friday night and then Andrew on Saturday. 

But all this was ahead of us as I arrived at midday on Friday and after catching up with Jacquie and the kids, Chris and I shot off to collect Paul J from the station. Then after a second-wave newsbeat, we started gaming! We kicked things off with Babylonia, new to both Paul and Chris but a relatively easy teach. 


We played slightly too open, having the full board instead of the slightly condensed one for three, but that made it an easier learning game:

Sam 149
Chris 147
Paul 99

And now familiar with it, both were enthusiastic for another crack.


My long and arduous master-and-apprentice defeats at the hands of Martin stood me in good stead once more:

Sam 123
Paul 99
Chris 96

Lovely to find two more converts! We moved on to Sushi Go, the game of card-drafting Japanese foodstuffs. Owing to a misunderstanding over chopsticks, I ruled myself out of contention after round one, but it's not exactly a grind.

Paul 72
Chris 59
Sam 46


 Paul began a four-game winning run here, following his Sushi Go triumph with victories in Alhambra:


Kingdomino...


And Kingdom Builder.


Chris was appalled to finish third in every instance, voicing aloud his regret at the very idea of Chippencon. Things didn't improve immediately for him when Paul H arrived, as we kicked off with Tournament Raj and despite a huge last-round haul, he still finished last. Paul J and I slugged it out for first place, but he shrugged me off to claim a fifth victory in a row!

Paul J 60
Sam 51
Paul 45
Chris 33

With tea consumed - thank you Chris and Jacquie - and Stuart freshly arrived, we fancied something a bit feistier now, and so I talked them through the rules of Hansa Teutonica. 


Despite my encouragements to get sabotaging. everyone was very polite at the start and the first couple of rounds were slightly after-you-sir. But soon enough we were getting in each other's way and the cussing ramped up slightly. The initial sense of being hobbled by two actions fell away as we proliferated across the board and engines kicked into gear. 

After an hour of cross-postal interference, Stuart leapt from an innocuous fourth place into joint first with Chris, and I couldn't quite catch them. We checked the rules for a tie-breaker and Chris' fewer actions-per-turn won him the game!


Chris 38 wins tiebreaker 

Stuart 38

Sam 37

Paul H 29

Paul J 25


Now into the meat of the evening, we debated our five-player options. Paul J was understandably reluctant to learn another set of rules at this point, so we alighted on Istanbul, needing a mostly-fringe-area refreshment on rules. I forgot to take any photos at this point, but suffice to say Paul H was now warmed-up and moved through the gears to wrap up a relatively straightforward win, grabbing his fifth gem with the rest of us at least two turns away from doing likewise:


Paul H five gems!!!!

Sam  4 gems 31 cash 

Paul J 4 gems 6 cash

Stuart 4 gems 1 cash 

Chris 3 gems 13 cash 


The hour was getting late so with the request for something 'silly' I suggested Block Party.



Although this meant another set of rules, the fact they only take about 45 seconds to explain meant we were off and running quickly. And Chris made a banana. 



"I tried to bend it" he cried, but it mattered not: Stuart identified it. I guessed Paul H's spider and he saw the fire engine in my creation. We all ran the highs and lows of emotions - my milk bottle was alleged to be a snowman, a mountain, and an igloo - but ultimately the last game of the night saw Chris triumph:

Chris 11

Sam 10

Paul and Paul 8

Stuart 7



Saturday


I surfaced at around 8.15 to an extremely muggy day. We threw opens doors and windows to try and get some air into the house. Chester enjoyed having all these access points to the house. 



As well as the visiting articles to investigate. 


After breakfast, Jacquie liked the idea of trying out Block Party, so we did. Despite some creative performance anxiety, her debut creation was this beautiful pineapple:


However despite a frankly shambolic attempt at a door (in dubious colour choices of grey and pink) Chris triumphed again. I lost track of where Jacquie, Paul J and I finished.

Apart from that intense Block Party workout it was a fairly lazy morning. Paul H returned at 11am and while Chris prepped the chilli for later, he talked Paul J and I through the workings of Imhotep.



I think I played this about eight years ago, and I found it's piece-of-string machinations just as opaque this time, as players choose whether to add cubes to boats, or sail a full-enough boat to one of several possible destinations. It's fun, but I am really awful at judging anything being a good decision, and my focus on building a massive Burial Chamber didn't match up to the canny shenanigans of the Pauls, with Paul J claiming a debut victory!


Paul J 49

Paul H 41

Sam 39


Then with Chris back at the table, we returned to Babylonia. 



This was a corker, as leads between the Pauls and Chris ebbed and flowed whilst I languished back on a measly five points, hoping to draw enough farmers to use my ziggurat power. They didn't arrive and I had to focus my efforts building a central network that Chris spotted was going to haul me in some juicy points when they started paying out. I agreed, but I didn't think I'd close the now huge gap between Paul J (at this point) on something like 110 while I was back in the 30's somewhere. But as it turned out, it was damn close!


Chris 138

Sam 136

Paul J 130

Paul H 107


A baptism of fire for Paul H, then, but the next game - after our classic Lunch of Beige - was one he knew intimately: Eclipse! 


This was Chris's second-edition version, with some minor rules modifications (and one less round) and some faction asymmetry, but largely the same narrative: early rounds are developing tech and kitting out ships, building towards a massive bunfight at the end. Except here the bunfight never really materialised: Paul H and I established an alliance, and Chris and Paul J did the same.  Chris considered attacking Paul H, but decided against it because it looked like a death wish.



My dreams of peaceful expansion were undone by poor planning and ill fortune and I spent a few rounds only doing two actions and then passing early. The others expanded more successfully and built monstrously-violent death machines of the cosmos in a sort of cardboard cold war.



Then at the death Chris attacked the central hex and quickly reenforced his dominance there. He tried to take some hexes off me but didn't roll what he needed and we all eyed him warily. Oddly, his aggression went unrewarded in the sense of point-scoring, with Paul H's 'In Bed With the Ancients' faction grabbing victory:


Paul H 33

Paul J and Sam 32 each

Chris 30


Though it was certainly not a damp squib, I didn't enjoy Eclipse as much as I used to. It's a long haul to get to the more-exciting finale (caveat: my adjacency to that was more my fault than the games') and at times it feels a bit like a slightly protracted drum-roll. There's a lot to consider as well, and if it's a more elegant construction than Xia's everything-by-dice, it doesn't feel as stupidly fun. 


Speaking of dice, though, next up - after the very delicious chilli, and a quick sortie to the shops - was Las Vegas. It's not a game that supplies quite the epic narrative Eclipse does, but it was a nice pallet-cleanser:


Sam $510k

Paul J $470

Chris $380

Paul H $280


We knew Andrew was imminent, but just had enough time for another four-hander in the little-seen (by me at least) Timeline! I couldn't help but notice a seam of dark comedy in the images, with a number of characters looking vaguely psychotic.



Paul H won this. I discovered the refrigerator was invented much earlier than I'd anticipated, but now with crushing inevitability the exact year escapes me.

Paul H wins

Sam and Paul J 1 card

Chris 2 cards 


Andrew arrived just as we finished and after the briefest of catch-ups the discussion of what to play as a five began. Dominant Species? A bit long. Twilight Imperium? Very long. Istanbul? A bit short. We settled on Lords of Waterdeep. With no Martin or Ian present I elected to play green, so the colour/game combo made it feel a bit like 2010, as Prince used to sing.



Early on it was fairly even - I shot off on the scoretrack to 32 but had a bunch of skulls that made my actual score a current 14. Paul H pulled ahead and played some dastardly intrigue that balanced out revealing his Lord with the fact we couldn't target him all game. That was a bummer. Meanwhile I pulled ahead again, and Chris targeted me with one of those bastard mandatory quests that I'm definitely not still sore about. Andrew mostly chuckled at the names of the quests.



Incredible scenes at the end as Paul H pulled so far ahead it was almost embarrassing. My late game recovery wasn't enough to catch a resurgent Chris, and a briefly-dominant Paul J found Andrew had enough to sneak past him in the final count.

Paul H 166

Chris 148

Sam 144

Andrew 134

Paul J 131


After twelve hours of gaming I suddenly got hit by an ocular migraine, and had to play my final game (Incan Gold) with my eyes largely closed and Chris communicating events to me ("Zombie Lady!"). Paul J and Chris lacked our frugal conservatism and, falling behind, risked life and limb - and ultimately lost life and limbs - in wild attempts to recover.



In the end, however, it was Paul H who took yet another win!


PH 34

Andrew 32

Sam 26

Chris 20

PJ 0


And at this point, with my vision no better, I had to take myself to a dark room. It was a bit of a underwhelming way to end Chippencon and I was gutted to miss Chris and Andrew take on the Pauls in Decrypto! The Pauls won, though what the words and dramas were maybe we'll learn in the comments.


Thanks to Chris Jacquie and kids for putting up with us all, and everyone attending for making it fun.  

7 comments:

  1. Game of the weekend for me is a hard choice, with Babylonia definitely competing for top spot. Nice to revisit Istanbul and Lords of Waterdeep. Hansa Teutonica on Friday was a cracker too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But we didn't play Keyflower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After Sam retired for the evening, unable to see through the "furry croissant" covering the right side of his vision, we had two more games inside us. First was Biblios and Paul got a rules explanation while I asked which version we were playing and tried to not look disappointed when I was told that there would be shuffling before the auction round. At least we got to say “eat shit,” though.

    But I focused on reds and oranges and I got a couple of well timed church cards, especially during the auction round when I knocked down two dice by a point giving me a convincing win.

    Andrew 8
    Paul 2
    Paul 2
    Chris 2

    Then we played Decrypto to finish. In round 2, while thinking about how to solve Chris's super cryptic clues I actually muttered one of our words under my breath but I don't think the Pauls noticed.

    Chris and I get a miscommunication. "You'll have to explain that to me later," he says. The clue was “breakfast” which I thought would suggest “peanut” more than “leprechaun.” Chris used cockney rhyming slang in one of his clues and I stretched the rules in one round where I gave three phrases and the clue was actually the third word in each phrase. It worked for a while couldn’t stop Paul and Paul’s eventual victory.

    Thanks for the evening. See you all soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear you played Biblios! Paul J and Chris were debating this morning what got played after I retired and Paul insisted it was only Decrypto! 🤪

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the weekend chaps! I think Babylonia and Block Party were the stand out memorable games of those played for me.
    Once again I was a little disappointed with Eclipse. Your comment about it being an extended drum roll rings true. So much so that I've looked up the game to see if our play style is at fault. Nobody really seems to point at the problems that I have with it - namely very little PvP combat until the last round. Up until that point is a land grab and arms race.
    Like Clash of Cultures I so desperately want it to play as good as it looks but there seems to be something missing stopping it from being 8 or 9 instead of a 6 or 7.
    Can't believe I forgot we played Biblios!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something fun about the initial caginess, and the brinkmanship of who attacks first. And the ship-building is fun too. But - in part due to our rustiness, perhaps - those early stages just take rather a long time to cycle through. I'd play it again but I agree Chris, it seems like there's room for a version where the first 6 rounds condense into three and the biff-bang-pow of the finale begins sooner and is the dominant experience.

      Delete
    2. The reason that doesn't happen isn't just that the kitting-out takes time, it's also that recovery does as well.

      Delete