Thursday 12 April 2012

We played games this evening

The call went out for another games night, and three hardy gamers converged for a Thursday evening's strategy.

At first, it was just Sam and I. We began with a quick non-leaderboard game of Il Ponte Del Diavolo, which was an enjoyable and tense affair of creating islands in each others' way while trying to build bridges between them. Sam won quite comfortably, but I didn't note the scores. 28 to 16? Something like that. Finn the cat sat on a chair and watched us with disdain.

There was then some faffing about while we waited to see if Jonny could get here in time for a full game. As it was, he arrived just in time as Sam and I had set up a two-player game of Alhambra (realising, as we did, that this would put the "third player" Dirk on the leaderboard) but we had barely started. We happily jilted our imaginary friend in favour of Jonny and began again.

Jonny sat down and Sam reminded him of the rules. This turned out to be a mistake as Jonny quickly got back into the swing of things and Sam might have benefitted if Jonny's memory had been more vague. By the end of the second scoring round, only five points separated the three of us and the excitement could be felt in the air. Like electricity. Or a paper aeroplane. Like an electric paper aeroplane.

In the end, my short wall (which I managed to make shorter in the last round) was balanced out by winning several categories. Sam's last minute charge up the score track thanks to his wall was not enough to catch up with Jonny.

Andrew 130
Jonny 119
Sam 117

Then since it was still early, a game of Tsuro was suggested. I started in bullish mood, trying to trap Sam and then, later, I managed to send both of them across the board while I had the other half to myself. In the end, I dispatched Sam and was able to outlast Jonny who found himself tsuro'd into a corner.

1. Andrew
2. Jonny
3. Sam

Not a great evening for Sam, but because he loses those pesky red fives, he moves ahead of Hannah on the Form Table. I make amends for Tuesday's poor showing, and Jonny's two second places make him the new Mr Consistency. Meanwhile, everyone take a screengrab: Adam's last!







Points
Sam3 322414
Hannah1135515
Andrew1 1 365 16
Steve2315516
Jonny 2 25 5519
Joe145 55 20
Anja4255521
Adam255 5 522

3 comments:

  1. Ponte del Diavolo was actually 28-6, but unfortunately my early promise evapirated, like a premier league footballer thinking he's made after scoring in pre-season against Carlisle.

    Can't believe my crazy gamble in Tsuro doesn't get a mention though! I had a definite second place, but gambled in the spirit of GNN for a spectacular first. And failed.

    Nice evening, thanks chaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes. Sam's courageous Do Or Die spirit in Tsuro, hoping that the cards in my hand wouldn't finish him. We applaud such nerve in GNN Towers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'evapirated'? 'he's made'? early morning comment, sorry

    ReplyDelete