Thursday 28 February 2013

Ship of fools.

Due to my kids chunder fest on Sunday night games night was postponed to Wednesday this week. I had got three new games for my birthday and I was itching to get one of them played. We opted for Medici, rules are simple to learn and it has a quick playing time. So quick in fact that we managed to play three games on the trot but I'm getting ahead of myself here.

The first game for the newbie merchant ship captains was a curious mix of badly over bidding for goods and random tactics so it is probably little wonder that I came out on top. In this game each player spent a little time out in front.  It was quite incredible that the final score spread was only 5 points.

Chris - 129
James - 126
Paul - 124

Afterwards with all present staring at the board it was generally agreed that this was a smashing game with James going as far to say that it was his new favourite, of the shorter games.

So to round two, where I played a mean game of only bidding on the high tiles. A couple of winning ships later and I had quite the lead. It turned out to be enough in the end with neither Paul or James being able to mount a comeback.

Chris - 165
James - 123
Paul - 104

It seems in our last game that James had learnt all my tricks (Whatever they were) and sailed off round the scoring track, momentarily looking back over his shoulder every now and again to sail off in a puff of spices.

James - 169
Chris - 127
Paul - 107

For our final game we thought we'd give Web of Power another spin. This time it was a very cagey game with a few complete territories not even broken by the first scoring round, which James edged. I fell into my usual flawed tactic of spreading my advisors around the place and running out of them James and Paul managed a much more focused approach and in the end some canny placement by James won him the game even if he did think he had a road of 11 cloisters. It was actually one of 6 and one of 5 which only made the total of...........11. HAHAHA.

By this point we had all shared a big bag of Maltesers and a similar sized bag of skittles. I think we were all on a sugar rush...

James - 64
Paul - 53
Chris - 48

1 comment:

  1. It's hilarious when someone has the rug pulled from under them like that.

    ReplyDelete