Wednesday 29 November 2017

Play it again (and again at) Sam(’s)

Under a chilly cloudless Bristol sky, six gamers braved the weather to congregate at Sam's house for the week's regular gaming meet.

We started as a group of five (Sam, Joe, Ian, Matt and me) so we whiled away the minutes until Martin arrived with a quick game of Cartegena. This is a simple game of maximising your inadequately small hand of cards to get your band of pirates out of jail and into a boat.


It soon became apparent that positional play was everything. Knowing when to shoot ahead and when to fall back is key, and Sam had a better idea of when than the rest of us.


Sam: all 6 pirates escape
Joe 4
Ian 2
Andrew 2
Matt.0

Martin had arrived mid-game and once we were done guiding pirates down tunnels, we split into two groups of three. Ian, Sam and Martin chose The Quest For Eldorado, a Knizia game of racing through various types of terrain.

I didn't really follow it, since I was busy learning the rules to Azul, another new game. In this game, players take turns picking up tiles to fill their five by five grid. But in order to get a tile onto the grid, you have to fill up a row (of 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 tiles) with all the same colour. If you pick up tiles that won't go on a row, they count against you as negative points.

It had, for me, just the right amount of analysis paralysis. Thoughtful but not an ordeal. In the first game Joe, the only one who'd played before, won with a strong final round.


Joe 82
Andrew 52
Matt 44

The Quest For Eldorado was still being quested. I remember, in the early stages, seeing Ian firmly in last, apparently distracted by every cave he went past.

But I was soon consumed by a second game of Azul. This game was far more combative. At least, that's how it felt to me. Matt, though, seemed to have spent the first game learning, since he scored well in end-of-game bonuses and pushed Joe into second place.

Matt 97
Joe 88
Andrew 60

The Quest For Eldorado had ended long before we had, and Ian's early obsession with caves was paying dividends, as he was now in a strong first place. Sam appeared to have stalled mid-game while Martin ran Ian a respectable, but very definite, second place.


Ian
Martin
Sam

In the interim, while they waited for our second game of Azul to end, they played three rousing games of Eggs Of Ostrich. Each one remarkable for the cries of anguish from Martin, unable to predict his opponents wily ways.

Game one ended...

Sam 17
Martin 8
Ian 6

Followed by...

Ian 8
Sam 7
Martin 5


And finally...

Sam 7
Ian 3
Martin 3

And so, with the rueful observation that they had become worse at the game the more they played, all six of us were together again.

However, there was no appetite for a big six player. Instead, we simply swapped ends of the table, with the Eldorado Questers taking up the Azul challenge. Me, Joe and Matt decided to play Ra as our approximately Azul-length game.

Matt, though, merely continued as he had during Azul. He had a poor first round that gave me a glimmer of hope, but while I built up my Nile and Joe went for buildings and civilizations, Matt played for buildings, pharaohs and got the sun tile bonus.

Matt 56
Joe 40
Andrew 34

Their game of Azul had ended


Ian 56
Martin 54
Sam 40

They even had enough time to squeeze in a little NMBR9. Martin's quote "Once you get a hole, you're fucked" proved to be an accurate assessment of his situation.

Sam 90
Martin 56
Ian 47

And so ended the evening for most. Joe was offering lifts to the Eastonites, so they sped off and I was happy to call it a night at 10.40.

But Sam and Matt had one more game inside them. I got a text from Sam as I was getting ready for bed, telling me that Matt had beaten him at Tokyo Highway “by a car.” I’ve no idea what that means, but I hope to try it on Friday.


Until then, it’s good night from me, and it’s good night from them.

9 comments:

  1. Shame we didn't get a 6p in but I enjoyed everything I played. I wouldn't say El Dorado is a typical Knizia but it's good fun trying to build your deck to anticipate the hazards ahead. Some similarities to Clank but I prefer the simplicity of this one and it was interesting to see Ian's hang back, build up and then race triumph over my slow-but-steady.

    I like Azul more each time I play and also thought it was better with 3 than 4. I had 17 points of endgame bonuses to Ian's 4 but the -11 I got stuck with in the penultimate round really shafted me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked all those games. El Dorado got played tonight by Stanley and myself and he liked it too.

    What I like about Clank is that your luck-pushing is really about how greedy everyone is. As soon as someone heads to he surface it’s a mad dash. But that said I think I prefer El Dorado.

    Lovely to play NMBR9 and like Martin I really like Azul too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three new games for me this evening and I liked all three. Of those I think I had more fun in El Dorado, but Azul has more depth (Cartegena was the third, which I enjoyed as a nice filler type game).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to play Ra - I always love Ra. But I didn't win, which I thought we'd agreed is against the rules. After Andrew beat me last time.

    Azul is great - though I concur with Ian's sentiment - it feels to me like quite a *serious* game, somehow. Can't quite pinpoint why . . . or even what I mean by that. I'll leave it at that.

    Lovely evening though, thanks all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I just checked. I didn't beat you last time in "The Worst Game Of Ra Ever" (c) Martin.

      Memory can be cruel. Thank God we have the blog.

      Delete
    2. Ah thank god.
      All the more reason for me not to have lost on Tuesday, surely?
      Except I didn't. Matt won, fair and square. With aplomb, even.

      Delete
  5. Stan and I have played The Quest for El Dorado the last two evenings. Because of time constraints we've only had one adventurer each (I believe with two players, each player has two adventurers) - it doesn't shine with two, but it's been enjoyable enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's why you're supposed to use two adventurers :)

      Delete
    2. Well yeah. I didn’t express it clearly but that’s what I assumed as well! Pre-coffee comments are a bad idea...

      Delete