Wednesday 22 November 2017

From Milk Production to the Milky Way

Tonight Chris joined me for another bash at two-player Clans of Caledonia. Ian was going to join us, but with a big move coming up at the weekend, he had things on his mind other than cheese, bread and whisky. Well, maybe not whisky.

Before we could play Clans though, Stanley joined us for a bash at the lesser-spotted King of Tokyo. I realised we'd been playing a rule wrong - quelle surprise - but not a major one, fortunately, and long enough ago that Stan didn't think to tease me about it. Chris went on the attack, establishing himself in Tokyo and refusing to be budged, right up until the moment I killed him. One down, another to go.


Unfortunately the other in question was me, as Stanley kept poisoning me until I too expired. As ever, Stanley's comeuppance for this cheek was to be packed off to bed.

King of Tokyo: Stan

On to Clans. We'd played it a couple of weeks back so the rules were still fresh for Chris. He played as the Clan Who Build Next To Lakes, and I was the Clan Who Angle. We checked what the ports did and what the scoring was for each round, and we were off!


An hour and a bit later we were done. Despite Chris's late surge on importing sugar cane, my extra exports and proliferated settlements meant I claimed the win.

Chief of the Highlands: Sam

I have glossed over the rest to reach the high drama of the evening, which was the also lesser-spotted Cosmic Run, which after a flurry of plays on arrival has sat underneath Knitwit for the best part of a year.

I began well, conquering the cheapest planet as Chris ate my dust. But as well as hoovering up my dust, he was also hoovering up points in the form of alien cards and those other things that score points, whatever they are. Mining chits?

And suddenly Chris was surging up the planet tracks too. Four times I exhausted all my dice trying to chase him and ended up achieving nothing. The only time I managed to roll four of a kind was when I had ludicrously gone after the five-of-a-kind planet. In the end, it was a utter whitewash with Chris in the high eighties and me barely breaking 40 points.

Overlord of the Galaxy: Chris


And with a win each for the participants, the lesser-spotted Wednesday Night games also came to an end. Thanks Chris and Stan!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a fun evening Sam. I suspect the Cosmic Run score would have been very different if the cosmos hadn't chosen that point in time to smite your dice rolling luck. It was very weird to see so many attempts at getting a number not happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was also very funny though. As we noted at the time, it was nice to go from one gaming extreme (the very Euro-y Clans) to another.

      Delete