Wednesday 22 November 2017

Feeling Gravity's Pull

What happened to tonight? Were the planets out of alignment? So many minor things went wrong. For example, Tuesday night was at Joe's this week but, in total auto pilot, I was halfway to Sam's before I remembered. Then there were the many occasions of people dropping bits of games (hence the blog title), and now I come to write this up, I cannot find the piece of paper I wrote the results on! It’s all down to my memory today. Sorry about the lack of numbers.

Luckily, despite my detour, I wasn't late and I arrived after Sam and Katy but before Martin and Ian. We began as a six, with a game of Stroop - a quick fire Dobble/Snap style game where the cards have words on them, possessing certain qualities like colour, size, solidity. The aim of the game is to get rid of all your cards by quickly putting them face up on a pile in the middle, but only if they obey certain rules such as the meaning of the word on the card must describe a characteristic of the previous card. Or not.

Six. Blue. Small. Hollow. Oh, and three letters.

So we played. Well, at first we watched Martin play as he put down one card after another. By round two some of us had roused ourselves enough to clear our draw piles too. I was quite pleased with my third place until I realised that Sam and Joe had stopped playing, and Ian hadn't started at all.

Martin
Katy
Andrew
Sam, Joe and Ian retired, unimpressed.

Next, Katy angled for a game of Yokohama, reasoning that if we left it much longer, we'd have to learn the rules from scratch again. And nobody wants that. Joe and I joined her, leaving the other half of the table to play something "more fun".

They played Sagrada, a game that Sam compared favourably to Roll Player in it's dice-based puzzling qualities. The dice, of which there are ninety, were new and shiny and - judging by the number of times they were dropped on the floor - apparently frictionless.


Meanwhile, we set up Yokohama as swiftly and efficiently as possible, with Joe scattering the game money across the table in his haste. We were underway before too long. But any fresh memory of the game had not helped Katy. In fact, maybe it hindered her, as the sharp pain of a recent defeat lead her into analysis paralysis in the opening few rounds. One of her turns was long enough that I was able to  get up and help in a search for scattered dice on Joe's kitchen floor.

As the game progressed, the moves quickened, and we were heading up the score track, quicksticks. We all took turns in last place, but found myself drifting further behind as the game went on.


The other three played Capital Lux, which I've seen played before, but it's a game that doesn't make much sense from a distance. Ian seemed to know what was going on, though.

Ian won, somewhere in the eighties I think.
Sam and Martin trailed in the sixties. Could be more. Could be less.

At this point, we told them we had another hour before we finished, so they played Flamme Rogue. I was absorbed in Yokohama by now, so I missed a lot of the race. In fact, I had to text Sam just now to find out who won.

Flamme Rogue in the background

Sam won
Martin a close second
Not sure if Ian crossed the line.

Suddenly, Joe ended the game by putting the fifth assistant in the Customs House. Both Katy and I had not expected that, and we suddenly had one turn to maximise whatever resources we had left.

Katy did not have a great final turn, but her lead at that time was enough to keep hold of first place.

Katy 120ish
Joe 110? Maybe?
I was stuck in the nineties. Story of my life.

Since Yokohama and Flamme Rogue had ended more or less simultaneously, we ended the evening as a six. Martin suggested another new game House of the Borgias, which we said in a broad New York accent because that meant “Borgia” sounded a bit like the surname of our genial host Joe. How funny we are.

The theme is that the Pope is dead, and we each have a cardinal that we’d like to succeed him. We have to sneakily get influence counters on our cardinal without anyone guessing who we’re supporting.



The game itself is Perudo, but instead of simply surviving if your guess is not challenged, you get to carry out an action. The action depends on the suit of dice that you chose. It was quite tense and I found it a lot of fun. Trying to judge a guess that sounded plausible that you’d get to do an action, but quickly became implausible as the bet ramped up, so almost no one else got an action, was pretty difficult.

I had a lot of fun, but I have no idea who won. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t me.

If any of you can help, pop it in the comments.

Update long after anyone has stopped caring...

I have found the piece of paper I wrote the scores on. And they were:

Sagrada
Martin 57
Sam 37
Ian 32

Capital Lux
Ian 82
Martin 70
Sam 65

Flamme Rogue
Sam 1st
Martin 2nd
Ian 3rd


Yokohama
Katy 128
Joe 116
Andrew 106

(so I did go past 100. I’d completely forgotten.)

House of Borgia

(or “Seven Bribes for Seven Brothers” as we quickly dubbed it)

Ian 19
Martin 16
Sam 15
Andrew 11
I think Katy and Joe were both found out.

6 comments:

  1. It was Ian. Great set of games at the House of Berger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have no idea why Joe accused me of supporting the Temporal. I did support the Temporal, but I spent absolutely none of the game promoting him - firstly as misdirection, and then as even more misdirection in order to get the rumour off my back. Crazy game, but good fun.

    Liked Capital Lux. Would prefer to admire Stroop from a safe distance of both space and time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a logic, but it now evades me. Didn't you take two influence off the top two and put them on the Temporal and another? Or was that later.

    Great game of Yokohama, but the dice scattering around us made me a little distracted. Games like that need to be played in a lovely quiet room with good soundproofing and perhaps a gently ticking carriage clock. I enjoyed it though, and was pleased to find Yokohama can be played with three on half the table (and in half the evening). Thanks Andrew for eschewing the other delights on offer. And congrats to a Katy on a solid win.

    Lovely evening thanks all?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to play Yokohama again...

    ReplyDelete