Saturday 20 January 2018

Tying up a few loose ends

At the end of 2017 I had plans for a big end of year review, but new got round to doing it. I’d even put together a division for the whole year, but now I can’t find the spreadsheet.

One of the ideas I toyed with was a Rothman’s Football Annual style fact sheet, which would list each regular’s achievements as if they were a football team, listing things like favourite colours, nickname, biggest victory, biggest defeat, etc.

Even that proved too much for me, but I did manage to complete a number of badges that would accompany each entry based on real football team badges from 1980 adding in new slogans with anagrams with some extra photoshopped letters if feasible. I didn’t make one for everyone, but a fair few. Rather than have it sit on my hard drive, I thought I’d share this much at least.

First is Martin’s. I’ll start with him, since I think he won the division for 2017. Plus, it was quite apt since his beloved Huddersfield Town lends itself well to a game-based interpretation.


Next is Sam. And once again, the team he supports offered up a suitable badge to work from.


Then there’s Joe. I don’t think he has any affection for Arsenal at all, but the only words I could reasonably make suggested Uwe Rosenberg’s Fields of Arle, which he owns.


Talking of Uwe, Adam's badge reflects his mastery of games like Agricola, Feast For Odin etc.


Cambridge United’s badge has (had?) a book in it, which lead me to think of our resident rule-checker Andy.


Matt’s nickname of The Dark Horse meant that Ipswich Town’s badge was ideal.


The closest I got to one for me was Colchester Town’s short-lived Roman Standard style badge, adding in the letters YPRF (Your Purples are Fine).


After this, I had a few generic ones that might fit people, if you use your imagination.

Phew, glad to get that off my hard drive and out into the world. Hope you like them. See you on Tuesday!

3 comments:

  1. I'd be Newcastle United. Never win anything! And don't turn up very often....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the expansion for Fields of Arle should definitely contain cannons, thanks Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we changed the text on my badge to 'What's the Point' I think the actual club could adopt it.

    ReplyDelete