Wednesday 18 July 2018

Pyramid Schemes

"Sam's at seven thirty" was the call heeded by six over-excitable board gamers this week. Apart from Sam, there were Joe, Martin, Ian, Andy M, and me. Andy hadn't arrived when we were all around the table, so we avoided any awkward silences (or even more awkward conversations) with one round of Texas Showdown. It couldn't have been closer.

Sam 2
Andrew 2
Joe 2
Ian 3
Martin 3

With Andy's arrival, we split into two groups of three. Joe, Sam and Ian chose a new game, Welcome To Centerville. It is by GMT, the same company that gave us Time Of Crisis but, Joe assured everybody, not nearly as complicated.


Martin, Andy and I chose Azul. It was new to Andy but he'd seen it being played before and was intrigued. And so the kitchen hummed to the sound of two simultaneous rules explanations. One was somewhat shorter than the other and before to long, we'd made a start on Azul.

I got off to a flier because, being the starting player, I picked up a set of four with my first turn. A nice way to begin and one that Andy referenced whenever he played a spoiling move against me, saying he couldn't really forgive me for it.


We ploughed on amiably, and reached round three just as the other half of the table were beginning their game. I found Welcome To Centerville impenetrable, and couldn't follow their talk of benches and rivers. I was, however, very appreciative of the pitta crisps that Ian had brought.

Azul ended in the fifth round, and you can imagine my delight at the final scores.

Andrew 62
Martin 61
Andy 54

And well done to Andy on his debut. Last, but a decent haul of points.

When asked about their progress, Joe stated that they were about a third of the way through. In that case we chose a medium game, with Ra being the preferred option.

Another new game for Andy and he admitted little experience with auction games. In round one, Andy went big on monuments, I went for rivers and Martin had a little bit of everything thanks to a very lucky final auction when he was the only one left.


If that weren't enough, he began round two with tiles of 2-11-12-13. A fortunate situation. I broke out the wasabi crisps that Sam kept eating, just for the experience. There was also a moment of discomfort when Ian's and my hands touched as we both reached for crisps. We reacted like grown ups, though: swiftly retracting and saying "urgh!"


Ra ended with a bit of a trouncing. Much as I want to put it all down to luck, it probably isn't.

Martin 68
Andrew 40
Andy 31

Since Welcome To Centerville was only just entering the end-game (or "just-screw-me-over time," according to Ian) , we filled the time with a game of The Mind. We reached round five and my only notes about the game read "a very fraught experience."

Centerville finished...


Sam 105
Joe 57
Ian 55

What was Sam's secret? Hopefully he'll tell all in the comments.

Next, as a six, we went for Decrypto. Martin, Joe and Sam (team name: Prasynki (approx)) versus Ian, Andy and I (Up Yer Bum). Sam failed to tell an anecdote about his son since it involved a complicated four way conversation that he couldn't remember properly.

Round one, all clear. In round two our guesses were of an entirely speculative nature. 'Just throwing maggots in the river, " I said.

But then we made a mistake. Ian and I thought Andy's clue of "BMX" referred to "joy" when in fact it was "Extra Terrestrial" the film. You see.

But then they made a mistake! But then they got an interception. It was very close and required some deep thinking. Clue-giver Martin assured Joe that he had enough time to poo before the clues would be ready.


In round six, Up Yer Bum were finally discovered thanks to another interception and so our trans Europe network of spies was ruined. To make things worse Prasynki pretty much got each of our words while we were largely clueless about theirs. A sound beating.

Joe, Ian and Martin left but I was persuaded to stay for one more: Bandu. A typically tense affair with lots of "Bandu Breathing" (turning your head up and away to exhale after placing a particularly difficult piece).

I was just out first and then it was a ding-dong battle between Sam and Andy, involving extensive use of coins. Finally, Andy's edifice was the first to crumble.



1. Sam
2. Andy
3. Andrew

Finally, at 11.45pm, I left, but Sam and Andy had one more game in them. It was Avenue. I got a text the next day from Sam with the scores and the news that it ended at half past midnight. Amazing scenes.


Andy 52
Sam 33

Thanks all for another night of adventure.

7 comments:

  1. I can't really illuminate my performance in Centerville other than to say both Ian and Joe neglected some set-collecting (vocations?) and I struck lucky by triggering the second scoring round at a point where I could manoeuvre myself into a decent scoring position. I liked the game; I'd be interested in playing again, albeit I doubt I could replicate that success.

    Decrypto was excellent, as ever, and great to play Bandu again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A set of classics old and new. Decrypto is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Centerville a lot - I'd like to play again; thanks for halving a go Sam and Ian.

    And Decrypto was brilliant - such a great team game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. More new games for me to learn on my return, nice to keep up to speed, or try to, with all the gamimg news; enjoy and hello from the Rocky Mountains (it's hot and stunning)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, Katy. We'll have stopped playing most of these games by the time you return. In favour of a whole range of new games!

      Delete
    2. Hi Sam, hope you're enjoying the summer and yes, Andrew, I'm sure you're right, that does seem to be the gaming way!

      Delete