Wednesday 27 February 2019

"Jedi" seems to be the hardest word

As England basked in a unusually warm winter, seven happy gamers congregated at Joe's house for the regular dose of cardboard-based entertainment. We were Joe, Andy, Adam, Sam, Martin, Ian and me.

We began as one big group with Just One, the word game where duplicate clues must be avoided. And we did pretty well at first in that regard, although some of our clues were a little obscure. Adam's clue for "Passion" was "Iniesta" while my clue for "Lamp" was "aldiss". With hindsight I suppose "tower" and "shipwreck" make a great definition for "lighthouse" but it took me a while. And it didn't even occur to me that Jedi would be a word at all, so I failed that particular word despite the obvious clues.


As the game went on, duplicates started appearing and well done to Andy for guessing "Mars" from the two remaining clues, "Attacks" and "Snickers".

We were "awesome" according to the scoring system.

Next we split into two and I faced the surprising situation that both games I suggested were chosen. Me, Adam and Andy went for Can't Stop, the dice game of pushing your luck (then again, aren't they all?) while the other four played Zendo, the game of questioning the Buddhist nature of things.


Zendo doesn't have a winner (expect maybe Martin this time, with Sam pretty sure he was last) and I know little about what happened but I think they had fun.

Can't Stop, meanwhile, was proving to be a very cagey game as they three of us proved time and time again that we could stop, actually. This cautious play lasted until the closing stages when Andy went on a rolling spree of mostly sevens and nines and then Adam, forced into relying on his unreliable luck with dice, had to really go for it to steal the eight column from Andy and take the win.


Adam 3
Andy 1
Andrew 1

During these two games we pretty much demolished three bags of crisps in about three minutes, including Martin's snack that looked like Wotsits but tasted different, causing a brief moment of confusion the first time you tried one.


We were pretty much completely out of sync so at some point we started playing Kingdomino and they played Byzanz. This was new to me and, if the brief snatches of conversation I heard are anything to go by, it revolves around trading in your merchants and "getting shit for one."


Ian 25 (plus 5)
Martin 25 (plus 3)
Joe 24
Sam 22

Kingdomino was fun, although I was often last to choose, meaning I didn't have to think too much. Just as well since my 7.5% cider had gone straight to my head.


Andy 37
Andrew 34
Adam 23

We then shot through a game of No Thanks, complete with the ubiquitous complaints about who shuffled these cards. It was yours truly and while I understand that the human mind is predisposed to find patterns that aren't there, I have to admit that there were more runs of numbers being revealed than was normal. I even shuffled the cards before putting them back so that the next game wouldn't have that problem.

Adam's single run of cards meant he strolled to a dominant win.


Adam 16
Andy 52
Andrew 90

The other half of the table played an Avenue-ish game called Railway Links. In this game dice are rolled and the players have to draw what they see on the dice.

Joe was quietly optimistic mid-game, based solely on the fact he wasn't cursing as much as the others were. Alas, the scores show his tranquillity did him no favours.


Sam 50
Martin 48
Ian 39
Joe 37

While this played out, we sped through a game of Qwixx which saw Adam's newfound love affair with dice continuing.


Adam 95
Andrew 60
Andy 44

And finally we were all together again. Ian took the opportunity to bow out and head home but the remainers had a rousing game of For Sale. I made no notes and, frankly, I remember little. I was drunk enough that, while I was writing down the scores, I asked what Ian got and had to be reminded that he'd already left. Cider followed by Soju. A potent combination.


Joe 53
Martin 47
Andy 46
Sam 40
Adam 40
Andrew 35

Thanks all. That's my last games night until late March as I'm off to Japan again. I'm genuinely sad to miss Katy's homecoming, but I'm sure I'll enjoy the blog posts.

6 comments:

  1. The new edition of Zendo is nice but I'm sticking with the Buddhist terminology of the original!

    Byzanz was a bargain buy from The Works for me and I think we all rather enjoyed it. An old-school auction filler that could easily be a Knizia.

    It's Railroad Ink rather than Railway Links and it was a pleasant Take It Easy like diversion.

    For Sale is of course a classic and Just One has the potential to become one.

    Safe travels and see you in a month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good writing and good luck Andrew!

    Sorry I (as well as Ian, I guess) started the early exodus. Still getting over the bug. Despite yawning my way through the rules and finishing last though, I did like Byzanz too. A neat idea, confident enough in itself to remain simple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks all. Sorry I had to leave early but the trek back to the other side of the city doesnt get any shorter :(

    Byzanz was very good. Not flashy or showy, but just a solid auction mechanic that had enough of a twist to make it really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just One was great - there was genuine bafflement all round as Andrew failed to deduce Jedi; but he’d done a Jedi mind trick on himself it seemed, simply ruling it out as a possibility.
    Not sure I was fully in the mood for Zendo, which is strange because for a long time I would wave it around hopefully at any given opportunity. Perhaps I was in the mood for something more simply competitive.
    Byzanz was as you’ve all described above, I really enjoyed it. Likewise Railroad Ink - it got me thinking about Roll and Writes - do you think Inka and Markus Brand started it all with St Malo all those years ago?
    Glad to have played (by which I mean won!) For Sale, and apologies to Martin for calling it a night while he still had beer to drink - we were all a little pooped, it seems. Fun night though, thanks all and especially Andrew for the write up. Bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! By that metric, Kerplunk! could be the first worker placement game . . .

      Delete