Wednesday 6 February 2019

Silent Witness

Well, almost silent. There was quite a lot of whispering.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Tonight we began as an eight piece band of gamers: Sam (the host), Joe and Stanley (his sons), Martin, Ian, Matt, Joe and me. We began with Bring Your Own Book, the fun game of appropriate sentence finding. The game suggests a topic (an email signature) and you have to find a witty example in your book (Ian had Fermat's Last Theorem and his email signature was pi to the thousandth digit). Martin had high hopes for his choice of book (Pests, Diseases and Disorders of Garden Plants), but somehow it never quite worked. Until, that is, it was passed to Ian at which point it became a hotbed of witty replies. Kudos to Matt for his Name For A Fantasy City. His choice of "Furthermore" was so good I can't believe it hasn't been used before.

Ian 3 points
Everyone else got one, I think.

Then Joe the younger went to bed and we split into two groups. Sam, Stanley, Joe and Martin played Witness in which you have to whisper clues to each other in a game that rewards memory and clear diction. I was too concerned with my game of Cosmic Run, so all I gleaned was sentences like "half a beetle" before they counted up their final score which was seven. Pretty good, according to Martin.


On Cosmic Run, the three of us were busy proving that a one in six chance was effectively impossible, as one hopeful roll after another ended in disappointment. I got lots of aliens and a fair view of those mining chits to take a comfortable win.


Andrew 49
Matt 36
Ian 33

While we were deep in Cosmic Run, Witness had ended, Stanley had gone upstairs, and the three of them had started on Menara. It's a tower building game where you have to obey the commands on cards that are split into piles of easy, medium and difficult. Their first attempt was over so quickly that they tried again. "Feels more positive already," said Sam at what I thought to be a very early stage, but he was right. They got to the fourth or fifth level when it collapsed. Joe said as they packed away, "it's one of those games where you either win or it's really disappointing."


Now we shuffled our places around the table and began fresh games in new groups. Joe, Martin and I played Mini Rails. This game was new to me, but Martin thought I'd played it before so I only got a rules refresher type introduction before we began. Although that was fine because there's not much to it in terms of rules. Quite a lot in terms of strategy, though, with Martin taking long enough on his turn for me to get up and sort out my drinks for the rest of the evening. At the end, Martin had to juggle some numbers as his final move would either help him and me or him and Joe. In the end he was annoyed that he'd miscalculated when it ended

Joe 11 (wins on tiebreaker)
Martin 11
Andrew 9

If he'd played it differently, he would have had fewer points but won, with me in second. He cursed his unMartinlike mathematical error for some minutes. Joe looked delighted.


Sam, Ian and Matt played The Quest For El Dorado, with it also ending on a tie breaker. Ian just pipped it, though. Matt ended up in a distant last with lots of money but no machetes.

Ian
Sam
Matt

By now, we had begun a game of Sticheln, the trick taking game that is anything but fast and furious. How we agonised over its counter intuitive strategy. As Martin so wisely noted, it is a game where "difficult things happen."

Martin 25
Joe 20
Andrew 13

On the other half of the table, they had knocked off a quick game of Gold Rush which Ian won. The general consensus was that it wasn't as good with just three.

Then they played the devilish but delightful Avene. During this game, after an evening of victories, Ian returned to form and uttered those immortal words "that's me fucked, then". The moment when he does so will, it seems, now be referred to as "Ian o'clock".

Sam 63
Ian 24
Matt 20

Then, after a brief cameo from The Table Is Lava, we all joined together for a game of Just One. In this game we all give one word clues to a word-guesser with the proviso that any duplicate clues are eliminated. We started well, and Martin got the first right despite Joe giving a clue to the wrong word. Before long we were in the zone, avoiding duplicate clues round after round. In the final round, I was the guesser. We were on the cusp of getting "awesome" on the score track, but two clues were eliminated and I had Dre, Drake and Grandmaster to guess from. It was 50-50 and I chose Hip-hop as the word. But it was Rap and that mistake meant our score dropped from "Awesome" to a clearly sarcastic "Wow. Not bad."

And then we were done. Thanks all for another evening of sparkling entertainment. I hope to meet you all the next time the clock strikes Ian o'clock.

3 comments:

  1. Three co-ops and a game where no one cares about the scoring. What have I become?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice write-up Andrew.

    Menara was good fun - I think without the tablecloth we might have done a little better too - Stan and I played tonight on the coffee table and succeeded in building nine levels high and winning (albeit we broke a couple of rules doing so :-P)

    Matt was in at the deep end with El Dorado but I hope he enjoyed it. I thought I'd won with my two urinewhiners, but no. Ian snatched it at the death!

    And the two clues eliminated in that final round of Just One were mine and Ian's - we'd both written "rhymin'". Bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed playing Mini Rails again, and winning my second game, even if only due to Martin's brain fart. Similar circumstances to my technical win at High Society the week before, you guys aren't letting me win cos it's my birthday I hope.

    Lovely to play Sticheln again, I'd be up for more of that.

    Menara I found just so-so.

    As I remarked to Martin on the way home, I find myself hankering after a more substantial board game experience at the moment - not heavy heavy, but I really enjoyed playing Ticket to Ride a few times recently, and Railways of Mexico. Really enjoyed Oregon last week too.

    Thanks for hosting Sam, and for blogging, Mr E.

    ReplyDelete