Saturday 22 August 2020

Socially Distanced Thrashings

Friday night Martin rocked up at Talgarth Towers for a few face to face games, beginning with Spies and Lies. From the mind of Don Eskridge (The Resistance) and the format of Stratego, this is a two-player battle of getting the Spy through the door of your opponent's castle - or, if you prefer, to their end of the track, whilst they're attempting to push it up the path towards you. 


It's pretty simple - you 'program' four cards out of nine (you have ten cards total, but one is always removed) face down, and they're then revealed. Catch one: they must be laid in ascending order (outside of the rogue '4' card, which can go anywhere). Catch two: if your opponent successfully guesses what your next card is, it doesn't activate.


On a first play I was utterly bamboozled as Martin seemed to read my mind - I felt like a toddler lying about eating the chocolate while it was smeared over my face. In the second, I managed a win. It was the last win of the night for me! 

Next up was My City, Reiner Knizia's surprisingly unKniziary take on legacy gaming with a Take it Easy style placement of tetris pieces on your own board - try to cover up rocks, but not trees. The first game is really that simple, but subsequent games give a slight escalation in complexity as now your buildings want to be grouped by colour, and now you have a well you want to surround with a different building on each side. Though I won game 2, Martin emerged 2-1 winner overall as his third city was marginally less ramshackle than mine. 


Then we played Glasgow. Martin is the third person I have introduced the game to, and the third person to beat me, this time in spectacular fashion. I thought his focus on factories was going to be misguided, but it was most certainly guided. By whom I'm not sure, but Martin kept his factories working hard and by the end - the 20th building built in the titular city - I think he'd constructed about fifteen of them. It was a total shitshow from me. Good game though. 


We finished the night with Watergate, and Martin - the Washington Post - looking for revenge on my last victory as Nixon. I played a suitably dirty campaign, but Nixon, possibly mildly inebriated by this point, which is no way to see off a combative investigation from two or more sharp-minded journalists, took his eye off the ball. Martin won and I never saw it coming. 


2 comments:

  1. Great fun as ever! I liked Glasgow more than I expected as it was quicker and more interactive than your run of the mill cube converter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such amazing work is done by you. Thanks for sharing such great information. For the best CSGO gaming experience buy csgo prime accounts.

    ReplyDelete