Wednesday 30 September 2020

Where there is Discord, may we bring harmony

The evening started in familiar manner -- Ian, Katy and I (Martin) chatting while watching Andy B sign in and out of Discord until he could finally hear us and vice versa. As we waited, an expected Adam (T) and an unexpected one (H) appeared too and then Joe made seven. And we all know what seven means...

Adam T selected his preferred old-school 7 Wonders artwork over the new-fangled version now available on BGA and also discovered an option that lets each player choose their side of the wonder instead of having it assigned randomly. Joe may have regretted his choice, given what transpired. Half-way through Age 2 much cursing was heard as he realised that although he'd assembled all the resources he needed for the second, third and fourth stages of the Wonder, he was one wood short of being able to build the first. 

Adam H - 69
Andy - 65
Martin - 55
Ian - 53
Adam T - 45
Katy - 43
Joe - 23

Joe pointed out that he'd have got 20 points more for completing his wonder, prompting Katy to tactfully note that he'd still have been in joint last. 

Next we split into the three As on BGA and a gang of four on playingcards.io. BGA tells me the former played two games of Kingdoms with rather similar sets of scores.

Kingdom Builder

Andy - 73
Adam T - 67
Adam H - 50

Kingdomino

Adam H - 73
Andy - 60
Adam T - 49

Meanwhile on pc.io we fired up my implementation of Senators. The curse of early wars that plagued our face-to-face games has eerily continued in the virtual realm, and this one was all over before Katy even got to take her 3rd turn. Bad luck for her as she'd probably have overhauled my tie-break win. 

Martin - 8 (9 money)
Katy - 8 (1 money)
Joe - 7
Ian - 5

I'm pretty sure I never cashed in a set of cards at all, relying entirely on extortion for my income and blind bids for my senators. 

Next we tried a new one I've implemented - Knizia's game of the classic battle between robots and ducks, RevoltAAA. The game play is about as odd as the concept and the title and I think we all felt a bit baffled and perhaps underwhelmed. I'd try it again though!

Katy - 10 
Joe - 4
Martin - 4
Ian - 3
Dirk/Deck - 2 (but we cheated it out of a few points I think)

Adam T had dropped offline, having warned us that the start of "Bake-off season" would mean an earlier departure and the other two joined us for a rousing 6-player Texas Showdown. 

Andy - 4
Ian - 5
Adam H - 5
Joe - 7
Martin - 9
Katy - 10 

After Ian and Joe bade their farewells, we finished with yet another of my pc.io games (I got paid for doing this one!): Salvage, the new trick-taker from the family team who brought us Coup, Senators, The Chameleon and Hurlyburly. The bidding in this one is rather perplexing and got the better of me early on, but I managed to pull it back to a three-way tie with Katy's boat first to sink.

Andy - 4
Adam H - 4
Martin - 4
Katy - 0

See you next Tuesday!


3 comments: