Wednesday 16 December 2020

Rude if you do, rude if you don't

Six gamers congregated in virtual space like a genteel version of Tron where the biggest threat is the sound of cutlery on plate or a crisp bag being opened.

We began with For Sale. Katy amazed us all with her opening gambit of taking the one. Sam was a little too frugal and as we began the last buying round he admitted that his highest card was 11. He went big(ish) on the last round and picked up a 20. However, during the game, that 20 card netted him only $4k in money. Ian managed to pick up $15k with only a 19, but that wasn’t enough to get him into the top half of the table. The victory had to be shared between Martin and Andy.


Martin 47
Andy 47
Andrew 45
Ian 41
Katy 40
Sam 38

So, after a little reminiscing about the Division, we decided to split into two groups. Katy, Ian and Martin set off for Marrakech while Andy, Sam and I went for Alhambra. Andy kept saying “it’d be rude not to” when taking an optimal move that ruined someone else's plan. Sam got stymied by the lack of an undo function, and I had such a quiet second round that I was never able to recover.


Andy 139
Sam 118
Andrew 101

Marrakech ended;

Katy 48
Ian 43
Martin 39

And then they played something called Ambiente Abassall (sp?).

Then all six of us were together for a quick round of Codenames. Sam and I were spymasters and I was given Ian and Andy while Sam got the louder Martin and Katy. I started with what I thought was a definite: “pontoon” for “Queen” and “Jack” but Ian and Andy only thought about boats. A poor start. Luckily, Sam’s clue lead Martin and Katy to one of my clues. 


We never lost the advantage, and when Katy mentioned Jack the Ripper when considering Sam’s clue of “Abduction” (for “Kid” and “Alien”) I realised I could use that clue to link “Jack” and “cloak”. Thanks Katy.

Quiet ones win
Loud ones don’t

Then Sam went. I was fine for a quick fun game but, funnily enough, there aren’t many fun quick games on BGA for 5 players. After some deliberation, I decided I would bow out too rather than stick around too long.

According to BGA, the four of them played Butterfly twice and Ian won both times. Well cone, Ian. And thanks all for the evening. We can probably squeeze in one more before Christmas, so see you next week maybe?

 

4 comments:

  1. Yep, I'll be there next week. It's Ambiente Abissal, but it looks like you figured that out by the time you tagged the post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a real pain in the balls to change a tag, so I made the effort and looked it up.

      Delete
    2. We better play it again to make it worth the effort!

      Delete
  2. You could have played Butterfly, Andrew. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete