Thursday 7 January 2021

Happy New Lockdown

I arrived at 8.00 to find a game of For Sale already in full swing featuring Andy, Sam, Martin, Katy and Ian. I watched in a semi distracted state, but I paid enough attention to see Sam get hit twice when everyone else went big, leaving his biggish cards looking rather small. At the end of the game, he noted that his low cards had scored better than his high ones.


Martin 57

Katy 53

Andy 50

Sam 47

Ian 41


Then the six of us played 6nimmt. I started brilliantly, but then I collapsed faster than my hopes of visiting Japan this Spring. At the start of round three, it was Ian versus Martin for top spot. Ian, too, had a run of bad luck but while mine sent me into fifth, he ended the game still in second. Martin's reward was a message from BGA saying something about a 6nimmt bang bang. Just what he's always wanted.



Martin 37

Ian 17

Andy 12

Sam 11

Andrew -10

Katy -15


Then we split up. Andy, Martin and Katy played a new crazy trick taker from Japan called Cat in a Box. Ian, Sam and I chose a more eurogamey affair: Kingdomino. My lack of form continued into this game as I built further out from the castle, thinking it was a 7x7 grid. It wasn't since it was a three player game, as I was reminded.





Sam 84

Ian 64

Andrew 39


Then we banged out a quick 7 Wonders, and Sam crushed us all, while I took consolation in having not made any stupid mistakes this time. I still didn’t win, though.



Sam 66

Andrew 49

Ian 40


Sam left and Ian and I rejoined the other three just in time to watch the impenetrable ending of Cat in a Box. I understood nothing except for Andy feeling he'd messed up and Katy insisting that the game was "rubbish" as she couldn't place a card and lost four points as a consequence.



Martin 13

Andy 8

Katy 6


Finally we were together as a quintet, so we played Texas Showdown. Officially, the game lasts until someone hits the 12 trick mark, but after a lengthy pause while Andy lost the internet and then saw his laptop freeze up. We played for one more hand  and ended with…



Martin 3

Andy 4

Katy 5

Ian 6

Andrew 6


And so with that, we bade each other farewell and went our separate ways. See you all soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment