Wednesday 10 February 2021

Our autoplay has been updated

Tuesday games this week kicked off at 8 with six gamers in attendance, Katy, Martin, Sam, Ian, Andy and myself. Our first game was For Sale, and what an odd game it was. Sam picked up the 1 since"you know where you are with a one," and then he picked up an 8, which had an igloo on it. After all, he quipped, "you know where you are with an igloo… the north pole." He also got the 2, making him the most locationally certain player that For Sale has ever seen.


In the buying round, Martin made happy noises about how well everything was going. His confidence was entirely justified, and there was a three-way tie for third.

Martin 51
Ian 47
Sam 44 + cash
Katy 44 + less cash
Andy 44 + much less cash
Andrew 39

Then we split into two groups. Katy, Martin and Sam went off to play something whose name escapes me, but looked like this.


After that, I’m told they played Masked Men and it ended:

Katy 5
Martin 5
Sam -2

Meanwhile, Ian, Andy and I played Buttons. Ian got a rules explanation from Andy, even though it had been me that suggested it. Thanks Andy. I then went bust in round one, you know, just to show Ian what it looked like. 

Ian looked like he was going for two rows of six when I got lucky with a dice roll and was able to Opt Out in a winning position. The other two had to push their luck or admit defeat. Ian failed in his attempt but Andy was more fortunate. As we saw the result, I was remind of this game’s comedic lop-sided scoring system,



Andrew 108
Andy 108
Ian 8

After this Ian said he was in the mood for something light, and Andy suggested Sapiens. It may be light to him, but I found there were enough rules for them to blur together in a sticky mash.  There were lots of icons and something about food. The situation wasn’t helped by me having to quickly dash downstairs mid-game and open a tin of sardines for my girlfriend. 

Andy 31
Ian 24
Andrew 20

After this, Katy and Martin had joined our Google Hangout after Sam had left for the night and we ended with No Thanks, this time exploring the possibilities of the automatic pass system. This little option allows you to keep adding coins until a certain value is reached, and when it does this, it does it extremely quickly. This makes the player look very impatient and petulant. Martin also liked the message “your autoplay has been updated” that appears onscreen when you use it. As for the game, I was winning until the last card, which was 32 and Martin milked it for as much as he dared.



Martin 11
Andrew 24
Katy 25
Andy 39
Ian 49

And so that was it. Thanks everyone. See you next Tuesday.

4 comments:

  1. Our other game was Ambiente Abissal, by the same designer as Maskmen. I won.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice write up Andrew! Sorry to have missed it, and not even to have sent my apologies in advance, though I expect no one was surprised as I'm so seldom up for online Tuesdays.
    I've been entertaining myself with 1 player Praga Caput Regni, a thoroughly Euro-y experience but none the worse for that. I find it charming, in the way a very straight-laced bureaucrat who thoroughly enjoys his/her job might be. One day, perhaps, it might display its meagre charms to more than just me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to get a but grumpy during Maskmen. It's these crazy times we're in (and Maskmen).

    I played A Feast for Odin today with the 'Norwegians' expansion. Less a charming bureaucrat than a demented Scandinavian mathematician, but none the worse for that either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apologies re Sapiens which I do think of as light, but yes, there are a few icons and special effects to get used to. My thinking may be affected by the fact this is one of two games I'm currently running at 100% win rate (Grand Austria Hotel the other). :-)

    ReplyDelete