Wednesday 24 February 2021

No(kosu) Dice

I logged on at eight o'clock to find five gamers already deep into the third era in 7 Wonders. I soon learnt that this era had lasted longer than most were expecting, with Katy's internet once again proving unreliable. The other four were Martin, Sam, Ian and Adam H.

Adam, who was last with only 17 points, was perfectly happy to abandon the game. But Katy’s efforts bore fruit and the game finally ended:



Sam 64
Martin 53
Katy 50
Adam 41
Ian 40

During this game Joe and Andy also arrived, making us an eight-gamer group. Sam only had another twenty or so minutes so we split into two groups for a couple of quick games before regrouping again. Both of those games were Marrakech. I played against Ian, Adam and Katy and Adam won thanks to his not inconsiderable patch of carpet in the middle of the board. Katy made a few peculiar tactical choices: at one point putting her carpet behind Assam therefore missing out on a guaranteed four points. 


Adam 46
Ian 44
Andrew 39
Katy 31

The other game ended

Sam 48
Joe 37
Martin 31
Andy 30

And so with two convincing wins under his belt, Sam set off to prepare things for his son’s birthday while the rest of us formed two new groups. Martin suggested they try a new crazy Japanese trick-taking game, to which Katy agreed with superhuman speed. So those two and Joe and Ian set off for playingcards.io to play Nokosu Dice while Andy, Adam and I went for Alhambra.

Early on, Andy remarked that I kept leaving 4-1 money cards for Adam to pick up. But, as they say, lucky in money, unlucky in Discord and Adam dropped in and out of our chatroom. Mind you, there was precious little chatting going on. I was concentrating pretty hard and, although leading after round two, I was not sure of my position. I was decidedly unnerved by Adam and Andy’s larger collection of money cards, expecting them to unleash an unstoppable combo of building acquisitions. 


As I later found out, so did Andy, but his plans were always foiled by either Adam or I taking just what he was after. He wouldn’t buy unless it was for exact money and he ended the game with 27 green, 26 red, 24 blue and 14 yellow!

Andrew 153
Adam 129
Andy 116

After this Adam left and we asked the other group how close they were to finishing. Martin said pretty far and that they’d probably finish for the evening after that. So Andy and I said our goodbyes and logged off. 

Actually, we didn’t. Andy stayed online for a game of Abyss against random BGA people and I watched the end of Nokosu Dice while eating my crisps as loudly as I liked, trying to work out the rules. It was a trick taking game, but one where you could use dice as well. Other than that, even simple things defied explanation. Still, it must have been complicated for them too, judging by the pauses between moves.


Katy 66
Joe 50
Martin 40
Ian 35

And that was that for the night. Everyone left playingcards.io one by one until there was nothing left but the sound of the wind in the trees. A quietly poignant moment.


Thanks all, see you next week.

4 comments:

  1. Andrew you should have joined us on the hangout, we could have explained the rules. It was great - so great I hastily created a make-shift version of my own this morning from Sticheln cards and dice. Then I remembered I had no-one to play it with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite enjoy trying to guess rules of games. I did it with Go and Marrakech. Besides, I wanted to eat my crisps as obnoxiously as I pleased.

      But it sounds intriguing. Book me a space at the next table.

      Delete
    2. You're on! It's up there with the best of them, really interesting.

      Delete
    3. It was great, but the version on my tablet was rather more exciting; each die had a different coloured face so I had to concentrate extra hard on what was what. Hence why I only won by 16 points :D I'd play again and again and again! Thanks all x

      Delete