Wednesday 3 March 2021

Formula Bum

I arrived online to find a gallery of faces on Discord, intent and serious, so I assumed that they had already started a game. It turns out they hadn't, and no doubt I'd arrived in a lull in the hilarious conversation. Either way, Ian, Martin, Sam, Joe and I began a quick game of For Sale while we waited for Andy.

At the time I was still preparing food for my girlfriend and, besides, my audio connection seemed very quiet so I made little attempt at banter. The bidding round ended in a frustrating manner, with the 29 and 30 coming out in the final round, long after I'd spent most of my money.

I remember little about the second half of the game, except for picking up a zero dollar card with a 21. It ended in a deal heat.

Sam 54 (same cash as Martin)
Martin 54 (same cash as Sam)
Andrew 52
Joe 47
Ian 44

With Andy on board the six of us chose Downforce (odds betting, no superpowers). I never really had any form in this game and that continued. My sole successful bet was due to someone else helpfully pushing my black car over the line. 

Joe was of the opinion that it would be perfectly possible to give this game a colonic retheme. To which Martin added that you wouldn't even need to change the name. There then followed a few punning names for Formula One drivers (Ayrton Senokot, Michael Poomacher) and after this did I imagine things or did the anal puns continue? People complained about being rammed from behind or shunted in the slow lane. Probably my imagination.


Sam won in a tight race of bottlenecks and frustration.

Sam 19
Ian 18
Joe 15
Andrew 7
Martin 1
Andy -4

Then Sam left and, after disappearing to answer the front door for a few minutes, Joe signed off too. The remaining four went for Love Letter. Since we were unable to change the winning criteria to three points, we knew it might be a bit of an undertaking, but we crashed on regardless.

The highlight for me was whenever Andy (screen name Baron Frog) was accused of being a baron. If the guess was right, that was funny because it's so obvious and if it was wrong then BGA would add a note to the commentary down the side of the screen saying "Baron Frog is NOT a baron" as if it were appalled at the presence of an imposter in our midst.


Midway through the game, Andy gave up on Discord and communicated with us on the BGA chat, which Martin used to see which swear words got an automated warning message. Bum did, but Poo didn't, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, the game began by looking like it'd be over soon. Ian won the first two rounds and then Martin got to three points. Andy and I got back into contention until the score was 3-3-3-2. Improbably, Ian hadn't scored since his opening flurry. But then he won the next two rounds to take the victory. It was almost as if he'd just been toying with us.

Ian 4
Andy 3
Martin 3
Andrew 3

And so we were spent and we went our separate ways. Thanks all. See you next Tuesday.

2 comments:

  1. The revised betting rules definitely improve Downforce; shame they didn't improve my play this time around. :-)

    Have the Naughty Police been in touch yet, Martin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did my usual thing of betting on myself. It doesn't normally work but for whatever reason, this time it did.

      Delete