Wednesday 17 March 2021

My year of meets

I logged on at eight to find nine gamers in attendance or just joining. Such was the attraction of our two anniversaries: Katy's birthday and our year of gaming under lockdown rules. Before I'd arrived, five had already played a game of Vulture Culture, the new theme for Raj which loses any airs of Indian luxury in exchange for cartoony graphics of birds. I wasn't there but BGA lists the scores as...

Adam H 25
Ian 10
Sam 3
Katy 2
Martin 0

Once we were all together (Andy, Joe and Adam T were the other late arrivals) we played 6nimmt. Sam fell into a death spiral, and I pointed out that that’s the worst kind of spiral there is. Katy remarked that “6nimmt is like life - it all depends on what other people do.” With age comes wisdom, I suppose.


Andy 52
Adam H 38
Andrew 32
Katy 17
Adam T 16
Joe 16
Ian 11
Martin 9
Sam -3

After this, we split into two groups. Well, technically we split into three because Adam H left, becoming a little group all on his own, but for the purposes of playing games, we became two groups. Martin, Adam T, Joe and Katy sped off the playingcards.io for a game of Nokosu Dice.

We four (Andy, Sam, Ian and me) played Marrakech. Andy informed us that the day after I went bust, an identical fate befell him. I got anxious that history might repeat itself when Ian started off by rolling fours all the time, skipping past my carpets and leaving me without an income. Luckily everyone’s carpets were spread out across the board, with no real mega-carpets until Sam put together a six-square carpet in the last couple of rounds, so I managed to end the game with some money remaining.


Ian 46
Andy 41
Sam 40
Andrew 29

Next up was 7 Wonders. I chose my side of the board simply because the weather was nicer. I then proceeded to play an exemplary game of 7 Wonders, which is a shame because I’m not sure what I did right as opposed to all the other games I've played. Maybe the weather helped after all.


Andrew 64
Andy 45 + cash
Sam 45
Ian 41

Next Sam left and Ian, Andy and I played Vulture Culture. I was glad to see Raj on BGA but less so when I found out it only lasted one round.

Ian 20
Andy 12
Andrew 8

Then we played Cubirds, which ended 1-0-0 to Andy. The other group were still playing Nokosu Dice but said that Katy was so far ahead (she had 68 to Adam’s 9, Martin’s 6 and Joe’s 5) that they’d decided to end once round three was over. So the three of us banged out a quick game of Butterfly while we waited for them.


Andy 53
Ian 40
Andrew 19

But they saw that we had started a new game, so they ploughed on to end the game properly even if it was a foregone conclusion.


Katy 95
Adam 45
Martin 43
Joe 13

I went to bed as did Joe, and the remaining five saw out Katy’s birthday with a couple of rounds of Vulture Culture, ending with identical placings both times.

Martin 26
Andy 14
Adam T 10
Ian -2
Katy -8

Martin 16
Andy 14
Adam T 6
Ian 4
Katy 0

Thanks everyone. See you next week for another year of lockdown gaming!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you all for a lovely evening and for my new game; it just fits in my games cupboard! I look forward to playing it with you all sometime in the future :)

    ReplyDelete