Tuesday 11 May 2021

The Waiting Game

Eight o’clock (and a few minutes) and I log into Discord. From what I can hear, Martin, Sam, Ian, Katy and Andy are playing Raj. Sam was shocked by Martin picking up a 4 with a bid of 14. Andy, meanwhile, vanished with almost clockwork regularity, showing up just long enough to make a bid and then disappearing again. In the end, Ian won - he just beat Andy which is especially impressive since Andy’s thinking time was almost eight minutes more than anyone else’s.

Ian 15
Andy 14
Martin 10
Sam 2
Katy -1

Joe had also arrived and then as a septet we dove into Hugo. Or did Hugo dive into us? Well, for a lot of time, Hugo didn’t do much of anything. After a fairly uneventful first round, Andy’s internet deserted him just as he was about to place his first meeple on the board. This left us with nothing to do except chat. Joe’s making renovations in his kitchen. We spoke at length about Sam’s son’s taste in music (mostly guesswork, it has to be said). Martin’s image froze with his face a true picture of boredom which amused us, and Joe tried to get a similar amount of attention by pretending to have frozen but nobody noticed. In our defence, Joe was in dark mode and we could barely see him at all. Eventually, Andy returned and the game could end. “Was that the longest game of Hugo ever?” wondered Katy. “I hope so,” replied Martin.


Ian -6
Katy -10
Sam -19
Martin -19
Andy -22
Joe -28
Andrew -32

Finally we ended on 6nimmt. I went on mute for pretty much the whole game since I was cooking and I have to admit, I wouldn’t have had much to say except the usual groans of despair at cruel fate. I listened in, though, and it was all jolly interesting. Andy was hit twice by people putting down consecutive cards that filled up a row and left him eating cows. But in the end, I somehow got a joint win, along with King Of The Evening Ian. Three wins in a row. Meanwhile, Katy ended every game this evening with a negative point score. Well done to both of them


Ian 21
Andrew 21
Joe 16
Andy 5
Martin 2
Sam -1
Katy -8

I left Discord mid game, leaving a note to say that would be my last game of the evening and when I finally logged back on to see what else they played without me, I saw that they hadn’t. So, thanks everyone. Next week, maybe see you all in the flesh? How exciting. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the games, folks. And apologies for the delays tonight. What's more annoying is that I realised afterwards that I could have done Hugo on my phone. D'oh!

    Anyway, if face-to-face gaming is back on the agenda then I guess we won't have to suffer Internet woes ever again...

    ReplyDelete