Saturday 24 July 2021

Agents of Change

Last night Andrew and I played Lords of Waterdeep for the first time in four years. With just the two of us, it was a quite speedy affair even with the Scoundrels of Skullport expansion included. We shook off a little rules rustiness on set-up and leapt in to the titular city, gathering adventurers for our quests. 

I felt I was off to a good start and this confidence only increased as Andrew's agents seemed often a source of frustration to him rather than good news. "Why the fuck did I do that?" he sighed at one point. He also had a huge pile of the punitive skulls, whereas I was stockpiling quests and buildings that my Lord - whose name I now cannot recall, but he looks like a blue squid - would reward me for handsomely. I was so confident of victory that I relaxed somewhat, taking somewhat lackadaisical moves on the last two rounds. I don't know if being more concentrated would have helped or not, but Andrew's margin of victory was something like 30 points in the end. A fool and his dreams are soon parted...

Andrew followed this with another triumph. Cube Quest first appeared on GNN eight years ago, and is as much fun now as it was then. True, we didn't play with any tactical savoir faire at all, mainly just taking turns to aim for the kings, but the fun in this game is mainly about things going wrong, which they often did. More often for me:

Andrew wins 2-1

Andrew was now making going-home mumblings, but agreed to stay for his first crack at the haptic joy that is Project L. I would stop short of saying I 'love' Project L in the way I do some games, but it's always enjoyable and doesn't outstay it's welcome. Plus it gives me an opportunity for revenge, in what was a fairly low-scoring game:

Sam 19

Andrew 17

And that was that! Nice to get a trio of fast-moving games in on the night the heatwave finally broke. Hope to see you all on Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to revisit a couple of old favourites, even if it did mean relearning some rules. Even for Cube Quest! And Project L was very nice. Thanks for the evening, Sam.

    ReplyDelete