Wednesday 22 September 2021

Once, twice, three times a Knizia

I arrived at 8 in time to watch the final stages of Cross Clues.  The six gamers already there were Joe (hosting), Katy, Sam, Martin, Ian and debutante Gareth, brought into the fold by Martin. Expectation of an impending Adam T was dashed when he texted that he couldn't find a parking space and had returned home.

As for Cross Clues, I think I heard someone say that it was the highest they'd scored, and in the post game discussion there seemed to be a lot of mistaken clues related to "bus". A deceptively tricky world.

Then we split into two groups, both choosing Reiner Knizia games. Martin, Gareth, Sam and I chose Babylonia while Ian, Katy and Joe played Ra, with its lovely big tiles and shiny bag. In keeping with the Egyptian theme, Katy asked for The Bangles to be played. "What about The Go-Go's?" suggested Joe, "they're a little more sophisticated." But Katy wouldn't be swayed. We had to sit through Eternal Flame and Manic Monday before we got to Walk Like An Egyptian, with Katy insisting that this was the best music they'd ever had at a games night.


As for the game, Ian monopolised the pharaohs and Joe went big on buildings in the last round. Katy was clearly too distracted by the music.


Ian pushes his luck at the end of the second epoch

Ian 55

Joe 54

Katy 37


In Babylonia, it was almost as close. Gareth got a rules explanation (and I got a much needed rules refresher) before we set off and for most of the game, it was very tight, with the lead changing places constantly. But Gareth faded in the end game, while Martin left it very late. He was in last (77 points) and I was in first (100) when he put down a five-farmer move sped into first place (114 points). We only had one turn each to respond after that and I did just enough to stay ahead of Sam’s 24-point final move.




Martin 141

Andrew 135

Sam 133

Gareth 114


Next we re-assembled ourselves into two new groups. Joe, Gareth and Martin played Whale Riders, another game from the prolific Knizia. I know nothing about this game but it must have left some kind of impression on me since that night I dreamt that I met Joe in my friend’s flat. I asked what he was doing there so early and he said “I want to grab a shark, you know. Be a big hitter.” And then he mimed swinging a baseball bat while making the noise of hitting a ball.



Gareth 26

Martin 25

Joe 24


Meanwhile the rest of us played Kabuto Sumo. Sam and Katy took on Ian and me, and they made best use of super powers and items to take an easy but very silly 2-0, mostly due to having a massive poo to push around in the second round.


Next up was a quick game of Spicy, which is like Cheat (in that you have to spot when someone has put down a card different to what they said it was) but with more leeway (the challenger has to say if the number or suit is wrong, and if not then they get two cards). It was fun. And Ian was there. Honest.

Sam 30

Katy 24

Andrew 19

Ian 0


Joe's Spicy statue


Then I had to dash (after only two hours, shocking) but Sam told me about great success in So Clover (33 points!)




And then a victory at Master Word.



Well done chaps. Thanks for the evening. Will see you all soon.


1 comment:

  1. Great to play Babylonia again. I probably focused too much on my own stuff and failed to see what others were doing, but I love the dynamic of that game.

    ReplyDelete