Thursday 3 March 2022

Ethnos forgiven

 Having missed my Tuesday gaming fix for two weeks, I was determined to attend, even if I ended up running later than ever at 8.20. Joe (the host), Adam H, Katy, Gareth and Sam were all patiently for me, with Ethnos already set up on the table they were sitting around. They'd already played A Little Wordy, if I remember right, and had a chat. Sorry to be so late.

Ethnos has almost legendary status in GNN history, with Katy holding a special dislike for it, based on one game way back in the midst of time. Since then she's enjoyed far more unforgiving games than Ethnos so after a five year gap, she was reintroduced to the game. It's a simple game at heart. At least, it was for Adam who focused on the merfolk cards, giving an extra counter on the board and bonus points. Sam struggled, despite correctly predicting his next card would be a "shitty green halfling". Joe tried to flip the bonus token for giants like a beer mat and sent it across the board, dislodging a couple of counters from the score track. Sam was in the toilet at the time but I'm pretty sure we put his back in the right place.


By the end it seemed that Katy's long held aversion to this game was over. I suggested she could try Chocolatl again and she told me where I could stick it.

Adam 82
Katy 73
Gareth 65
Joe 57
Sam 56
Andrew 55

I wonder what other games people might be prepared to try again after years of avoidance. Would I play Quartermaster General again? I doubt it.

Then we played So Clover a couple of times. If you've ever played, then you know how it went. Lots of anguished moans followed by sighs of resignation as each player placed their clover face down. Except for Katy who has no issues at all.

After the first two or three were guessed first time, we started to become unstuck. Gareth had CHANNEL and TATTOO to link up and he went for TUNNEL which surprisingly we got with no trouble, but we stumbled on his clue FOGGY which should have been SMOKE and GRATE.

Joe finished last and was least confident. We went through several configurations and got to a place where we were happy but then got the jitters and changed our mind. Joe blurted out that we'd got it and then changed our minds, putting the squares back in their correct places. Against the rules but oh well. 

The correct result...now you see it...

Now you don't

I left at this point, leaving them to bang out one last game of So Clover. According to a late night text, they got 27/30.



Well done all. See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment