Wednesday 22 February 2023

That sinking feeling

On a train with cack wifi - will add pics this evening

Laura was our host this week, and with Andrew a late withdrawal the blogging reverted to my (Sam's) sweaty hands.

Joe kindly gave me a lift over - despite Laura and I being practically neighbours, it was a relief to the foot. After some breaking-and-entering shenanigans, we found the kitchen replete with hairy men, and Laura. Katy was due a bit later, and Andy could only stay until 9, so there was a bit of boardgame jiggerypokery (BGJP) as we debated options, before Martin, Andy and Gareth played Longboards and Laura, Ian, Joe and I settled on Heckmeck (also known as Pickonimo, AKA the Hammy game)


Laura had child-related distractions, and I had bad luck/decisions, so in the early running it looked like Ian v Joe. Then Laura and I struck back, but not that effectively, and though I stole a tile from Ian Joe's stash was insurmountable. 

Joe 10
Sam 7
Ian 4
Laura 2

They were still playing Longboards so Laura introduced us to Roll For It, the game of dice-rolling to claim cards. Initially it seemed underwhelming, as each turn is a single roll of the dice and choosing where to allot them, if at all, to hopefully claim cards if you're the first person to complete the card demands. 


But as the game continued it got faster and funnier with Katy - who arrived as we started - desperate for six 2's as the rest of us fought it out over another card. As we turned from perplexed to engaged, Longboards finished...

Gareth 41
Martin 39
Andy 33

..and they started playing HIT, which I didn't get any photos of. We were too busy chucking dice and shrieking by then. Eventually Ian claimed the win (22) followed by me (17), Katy (15) Laura on 12 and Joe back on a paltry 5 points. He would have some serious vengeance however, later in the evening. Meantime Gareth absolutely rinsed Andy and Martin at Hit:

Gareth 144
Martin 77
Andy 67

Andy's pumpkin hour was looming but we thought we could squeeze in a quick game of Viva Pamplona! After some inevitable rules-clarifications, we were off! 

Andy appeared to be the early front-runner with his strategy of staying ahead of the bull and grouping runners together worked well: he was rarely pushable and therefore (this is the rule I missed Saturday) you couldn't squeeze points out of him (when you push a runner, the owner gives you a point or two). I did okay out of the first two scoring rounds, but as the bull rampaged past the halfway point I fell behind and kept rolling low dice, stuck behind a pile of fucking tomatoes. Gareth was taking a lot of pushing around at the back too, but staged a mini-recovery. I needed the bull - now invisible to me beyond a mound of vegetables - to not move, but it bundled it's way in to the arena and ended the game. Surprisingly Andy didn't win - it was the quiet man Joe!

Joe 43
Andy 37
Martin 30
Gareth 18
Sam 17

At the other end of the table, they finished Forbidden Island around the same time. Katy announced proudly they sank the island, but won anyway. So distracted was I by the Running of the Bulls that I hadn't witnessed any of this, so hopefully we'll get a mini-epic in the comments. 

Andy had to go, so the four remaining Bull Runners set up Mille Fiori, a game I recalled being relatively straightforward (apart from the boats) but felt bamboozled by when on his very first go, Martin took three turns and scored about 30 points as the rest of us watched in horror. I stared at the boards, stared at my cards, and questioned the wisdom of agreeing to play it.

But wily Joe has been here before. He has a rock solid record with Mille Fiori and as the game played out over the next 45mins or so he shrewdly pegged Martin back, pulling off a dramatic move every time Martin surged away again. We had our fleeting moments but otherwise Gareth and I were in a fight for third. The ending couldn't have been more dramatic, as Joe finally bounded ahead to Martin's panicked cries. But on the final go, he pulled out a double turn, moved his ship and pushed past Joe Berger for the win!

Martin 225
Joe 224
Sam 209
Gareth 174

Katy Laura and Ian, meanwhile, had played Marrakech not once, but twice: I think the second time they did the evil variant. Katy won the first (then Laura, then Ian) and Ian was maxi-evil for the second, trailed by Laura and then Katy in third. 

I had a big day the next day today and my foot was complaining a bit already so I hobbled off, aided by Gareth who also needed to get home. The others stayed on for a crack at So Clover, and pulled off a maximum-pointer! Go GNN. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for blogging Sam and a very happy birthday for today! Forbidden Island was really nice, we mooched around the island collecting matching treasure cards to exchange for relics. Ian managed to collect two before I'd even helped out by getting one, but I was reminded it was supposed to be collaborative! Laura initially forgot her special power as the pilot enables her to fly around the island which was very necessary as we continued to draw 'Rising Water' cards, flooding and then disappearing parts of the island. In the end we only had two tiles of the island left, but these were next to each other and we used our final helicopter card to lift us all the safety having just grabbed the last relic! It was a fun night, thank you... I can't believe I was involved in another clear round of So Clover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katy.

    Sorry I couldn't stay for So Clover. You'll be glad to know I was gifted Mille Fiori and Quest for El Dorado today! (and a lovely book from the Berge)

    ReplyDelete