Wednesday 15 March 2023

Ablazin' Saddoes

 This week I arrived at a shamefully late 8.20, havong already received photos of the group playing Cross Clues twice, scoring 19 and then 22. As I finally walked into Joe's kitchen, I found a place set for me at a game of San Francisco. I was up against Martin and Gareth - the same opponents I'd had last time I played. Meanwhile, Ian, Joe, Sam and Adam T sat at the other end of the table  playing Oriflamme Ablaze. I have no idea about what this game involves (or what the name means) except a lot of cards, and I forgot to take a photo. All I know is, towards the end, someone said “Joe played a trap!” and trapper Joe replied “So I get a coin.”

It was probably more exciting than that. For Ian, at least.

Ian 14
Adam 13
Joe 11
Sam 5 

Sam appeared to be distracted by the Prince’s expression, saying “he looks like a cross between John Cusack and a stupider John Cusack”

In San Francisco, Martin built an early skyscraper (on the harbourside. Very nice) and never looked back. The foundation cards came out fast, such that we were down to the last foundation and only a couple of rows had been completed. I didn’t finish any rows at all, so most of my points came from builders.


Martin 10
Andrew 8.5
Gareth 8

The game was over so fast that, when Oriflamme Ablaze ended and they were considering a game of So Clover, we insisted that we were only minutes from ending. Eventually, they chose Cross Clues which began with Joe giving a clue to the wrong space. Disaster was averted since luckily Adam was currently holding the card for that particular space.


Martin, Gareth and I joined in half way through, with the caution that they hadn’t made a mistake so far. However, Martin soon noticed that two cards had been put down in the wrong place. They insisted the right co-ordinates had been clued, though.

25 out of 25

A perfect score, if not a perfect way of getting there.

Then we split up again. Adam felt he could stay for one more and Mille Fiori seemed to be about the right duration. Martin, Sam and I agreed. Gareth expressed an interest in Thurn & Taxis with Joe and Ian joining him.


Joe 26
Ian 14
Gareth 12

As we began Mille Fiori, we contemplated Katy’s recent record-breaking score and if anyone would get close. In the end, no one did. After everyone scoring two points each on their first turn, Adam got off to a flyer, reaching 69 points at the end of round 2 while I was in second with 22.

But soon the deficit narrowed. I managed to do the move that Sam wanted, much to his dismay. Instead he did a multi-move mega-turn which made me very glad I stopped him doing what he had planned.

No one monopolised any area, leading to a close set of scores. When Martin suddenly ended the game Sam reacted with anguish because if he’d known the game was so close to finishing, he’d have played a different card and could have won the game.


Martin 178
Sam 176
Adam 167
Andrew 160

Then we ended with a quick hit of Hit. Martin was in a good situation as he finished the deck but he couldn’t resist drawing the final card. It made him go bust and gave me an unexpected win.


Andrew 84
Martin 75
Sam 66
Adam 55

Adam and Ian left and we reformed into a five-player group.

Then we sped through a game of Rapido. Sam led throughout, I chiselled my way into second, newcomer Gareth was behind me, ahead of Martin and Joe who would lose points almost as quickly as they gained them.


I should’ve bumped off Sam when he was within rolling a pair of twos for a win, but I thought he was more likely to go bust, so I got greedy and went for points. Sam then rolled a double three.

Sam 21
Andrew 14
Gareth 9
Joe/Martin 3
 
Then we ended with So Clover. Very close to a perfect score. Our bette noir was a clever clue from Joe. Too clever, it turns out. His clue was “Harvest” for “Nail/Young” which was actually had at one point, wondering if that’s the sort of thing Joe would write. Alas, we went with “Young/Heart” because “Heart of Gold” is on the album.


I struggled with mine, being the last to finish. I couldn’t think of a clue for “Ghost/Cookie” (although now I think “monster” might have worked) and instead went with “Crumbs” but luckily they got it, even though another clue “Garibaldi” could’ve matched with “Cookie”. I’d actually written it for “chocolate/soldier” leading Joe to pontificate “Garibaldis aren’t chocolate but maybe Andrew doesn’t know that.” I didn't. I'd been thinking of Bourbon. Got my European dynasties mixed up again. But they got it in the end.

28 out of 30

And then we were done. Thanks all. That was a joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment