Thursday 18 August 2011

GNN Bracknell Branch Reports!

Tuesday night saw the first Bracknell meet up of GNN's most far-flung members - Chris (Me) and Paul. Having got a refresher taste of the gaming fun from our Bristol trip some weeks ago the two of us decided to arrange a night of our own.

As Paul had journeyed to my house on South West trains finest it seemed only natural to start off with a game of Ticket to Ride. This was a new game to Paul and myself although I had played it on the computer before. Therefore the rules took no time at all to learn and we were off and chugging, making improbable routes across America to join up cities. My previous experience told in the end as I picked up a whole bunch of extra tickets early on and then managed to complete them. At the final count up I pipped Paul by 91 to 80 even though Paul nabbed the longest route bonus.

Any game with a train theme was going to grab Paul and therefore a second game was speedily started. Paul had got a real grasp of the game's chief driver by now and proceeded to steam into a lead. In an even game which saw both players complete 7 routes Paul ran out the winner due to some inspired play. With the game nearing its final destination he elected to choose some more tickets in the hope that he had already completed the route. To my amazement that's just what happened. The final scores ran out Paul 132 to Chris 114.

So there was just enough time for a quick game of Dominion. Unfortunately for Paul, I had played this the previous evening and therefore when it came time to count up VP's my freshness told - winning 58pts to Paul's 24.

So the first session ended well and both parties agreed that we should do it again. And maybe rope some others in too!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're both back in the saddle. No more Robo Rally though I'm afraid - it's been maths-traded!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've still got my copy........ Doubt it will ever get opened again though.

    ReplyDelete