Thursday 18 August 2011

GNN Greenbank Group Grunts

In a synchronicity of earth-shattering proportions at exactly the same moment that the Bracknell Branch sat down to play the original Ticket to Ride, on the other side of the country the Greenbank Group were sitting down to play Ticket to Ride Europe.

At the table were Hannah and Adam (me) and eager newcomer Yo(lande). Having described all of our dozen or so games carefully to Yo she chose the one that Hannah had wanted to play from the start, Ticket to Ride Europe.

After a speedy rules explanation we launched straight into it. Yo took the one route I was worried about with her first move and for me it became an attritional game. Hannah sped into the lead with both six-carriage routes but had a fragmented route while a meandering line meant I had the longest route, but many short sections. Yo completed her routes early and looked well placed but when she took more route cards only one of them was helpful.

When Hannah finished the game both Yo and I had handfuls of cards just about to be played for big points but had to scramble to complete our routes instead. Final scoring was tense as Yo and I closed the gap on the leader, but to no avail, final scores were:

Hannah 122
Adam 116
Yo 96

(I think)

So all that's left is to see if we scared Yo off for good...

3 comments:

  1. Do you prefer the original or the europe version?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Europe is better - more variety with ferrys and tunnels and (I think?) long distance routes so more replayability... Have you played both online?

    I tried out Switzerland as well, but it's only three player...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got it as a very good app on my ipad but haven't played the europe version yet. I will give it a try soon!

    ReplyDelete