Monday 5 August 2013

Part and Castle

Sam came back from Cornwall, desperate to get back into the GNN swing, Even though the next games night is tomorrow, he sent out a text to meet for a little warm up.

Standing at the cupboard, Sam suggested Castles Of Burgundy. Since I was still to translate my solo-player success into something more multi-player, I agreed. And at first it seemed like the one-player version had taught me well. I was chaining buildings together early on, and a succession of rivers meant my position as starting player was never in doubt.


But don’t underestimate Sam, even as he panics at the growing disparity in scores. His board was full of small areas which he could complete swiftly for points. He kept track of me, and even pulled into the lead. A lead that, to our surprise, my bonuses couldn’t close.

Sam 208
Andrew 202

Then we considered another game, since Sam had just opened another beer. We pondered a few old favourites, but then we remembered A Castle For All Seasons. For a short while, it was the belle of the ball, surrounded by prospective suitors. But in the last few weeks, it was a little left on the shelf (literally) so it was good that we remembered it’s deep-but-quick charms.


We brought it down and set it up and, using Sam’s player guide, we sprang into action building castles and taverns and towers. Sam took the lead fro the start and didn’t let go. I closed the gap towards the end by scoring bonus points for money, but it was more to save pride than mount a serious challenge on his lead.

Sam 74
Andrew 60

And the day was done. Possibly enough to keep Sam going until tomorrow evening, but you never know. Maybe his animating assistants will be forced to play Biblios or Alhambra at lunch.

1 comment: