Wednesday 6 May 2020

Can't Stop/Can Stop

I (Sam) was late to GNN last night, and had the unique experience of listening to the end of a game of Can't Stop where the only available numbers left were 2,3,4 and 5. Ian, Katy, Martin and Adam H were all going repeatedly bust and the swear-meter was up at eleven. Eventually Katy won - not sure what the other positions were.

Katy - can stop!

8pm was nearly upon us and duly Adam T, Anja and Steve appeared. Joe remained, for now, mysteriously absent. We embarked on a game of Codenames with Ian clueing for Steve, Anja and Adam T. I was spymaster for Martin, Katy, and the enigmatic Adam H. Both teams began with a solid 2 correct guesses each, then we (Blue) pulled slightly into the lead when Ian's clue of Mount Rushmore led to an incorrect guess of Washington.


Both Ian and I were slightly bamboozled by the amount of water-related words on the grid with me trying to clue sink/pirate/stream and Ian well. Fortunately we ticked off horn and swing thanks to jazz - it's not often I say thanks to jazz - and then Ian's clue of shaft gave us a single word to finish the game off:

Martin/Katy/Adam H/Sam - Masters of Cold War

Around this point Joe materialised, but barely had time to say hello before he was led off for a game of Tichu with Ian, Katy and Martin. No idea what happened there - the rest of us, after another bout of elusiveness from Adam H, went off to play Taluva. This hasn't been seen on a GNN Tuesday night since the olden days, before so many things that happened, that I needed a refresher that amounted to a first-teach.


Fortunately Adam T, Steve and Anja had all played recently, and the only person who'd never played before was Adam H, who - inevitably? - won anyway. I'm blaming distractions of two roaming children, and the moon out the window.


I have to apologise because I struggled to get what any kind of strategy was and halfway through the game began to fall asleep, to the point where I asked if it was feasible to bail, and put enough social pressure on Steve as a result that he rushed his final few turns. Who knows what might have been had I kept my mouth shut? Sorry Steve. I remembered Taluva as a fairly dainty game but I now suspect I only ever played it 2-player with Joe. Five was a different beast.

Adam H - wins
Everyone else - loses, thanks to Sam

At this point I fell into bed and therefore missed whatever drama was about to unfold... I hope the comments will tell a better story than mine, which was Sally waking me at 3am because I was snoring so loudly.

8 comments:

  1. I need to stick to the lighter games while we're online. Struggled with Carrara last week too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like it noted that I was robbed in Taluva by bgarena enforcing a rule that I had forgotten. Robbed!

    After Taluva Martin, Katy and I played Kingdomino twice. Katy won the first and I won the second. Martin also participated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. as I suspected! Yeah feeling robbed is a common emotion after playing a game with Adam H. He has robbed me of my sense of self-worth many a time...

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the blog under these difficult circumstances Sam, it's appreciated! Whilst Taluva was going on we played Tichu, me and Joe lost with 365 to Martin and Ian's 635, I don't think we had very strong hands all game and so neither of us called Tichu. We snuck in half a game of Love Letter as well, Joe won the decider for first place and I won the decider for second, prior to that we all had just one point! I still can't believe I won Kingdomino, that's never happened before and may never happen again! Thanks all; miss your faces x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise. My hopes for Stan to return to the heavy-rotation gaming haven't quite panned out. Joe however... we played Orbit yesterday. Good stuff!

      Delete