Monday 1 June 2020

Four aces

After bowing out prematurely on Tuesday, I viewed the fortnightly Thursday meet as a chance to get back on the gaming horse, as it were. Sam, Paul, Chris and I met up on Zoom and sent our virtual selves to do battle on Board Game Arena.

We began with For Sale, which was new to Paul. Sam talked him through the rules and did a great job, as evidenced by the result.

Paul 72
Sam 62
Chris 58
Andrew 54

Paul suggested a second go, now he knew what was going on, but was somewhat less fortune. There's a moral in here somewhere.

Andrew 68
Sam 67
Paul 59
Chris 57

Next we played Carcassone, which has had a bit of a revival in these online times. I went big on roads and farmers (and I managed to isolate one of Sam’s farmers), while Paul hit the jackpot on roads, farms and cities.

Paul 74
Andrew 63
Sam 47
Chris 40

Then we played Incan Gold. Sam started off light on his toes as usual, but then stayed in just as one of the temples paid out big.

Sam 36
Andrew 31
Chris 30
Paul 23

In Perudo, Chris and I were out quicksticks. Paul hung on to his five dice longer than anyone else and then as he and Sam faced off man to man, he had the good fortune of eight aces in a row to finish Sam off.


1. Paul
2. Sam
3. Andrew
4. Chris

Sam was eyeing the clock, hankering for rest, but assured us he was fine for one more short one. We fired up good old 7 Wonders. Paul had his usual slow start as he tried to remember the rules, but it wasn’t long before we were firing on all cylinders. I must say, I was surprised to come last since I thought I’d done okay.

Chris 60
Paul 56
Sam 43
Andrew 42

Lastly, with Sam off to bed, we ended on Stone Age. It took us to eleven at night in mostly total silence. Paul’s space age lighting making it look like he was dialling in from the Nostromo. At least my candle light was slightly more thematic. I was too slow, however, in picking up multiplier cards and after Chris nabbed a few axe cards, I switched focus to huts. Too late to mount any real challenge, though. Paul’s large tribe got him a bumper score despite having next to no artefacts in his collection.

Chris 206
Paul 201
Andrew 157

And so we were done. Thanks guys, I needed that.

Paul's lighting turns him into Max Headroom

No comments:

Post a Comment