Monday 24 April 2023

Discussion of Pants on Line

Oh dear - I was supposed to do the blog for last Tuesday, and what with one thing and another I haven’t got round to it, and it’s Tuesday again tomorrow!

So I’ll make this short and sweet…

At one point we thought we might have just three, comprising me, Martin and my friend Matt, who is an occasional visitor. But in the event we were up to 7, as Gareth and Andy Bate arrived with Martin, and Steve and Adam H trickled in a little later.


We played Rapido whilst waiting for Steve. I had the sort of game I’ve seen others have before, where luck smiled on me repeatedly and I made steady progress round the board. Others had markedly worse luck, with one of them (Adam?) back on the starting block by the time I rolled a double three and romped home. This was the only thing I thought to take a photo of all evening - funny that! Martin noted that I’d scored the same as everyone else put together. What can I say - pure skill.





Steve having arrived while we finished up Rapido, we split into two tables, with Martin, Gareth and Adam playing the unpleasantly graphicked Aristocracy. Andy, Matt, Steve and I pulled out the Martin Wallace push-your-luck classic Hit Z Road. Andy wasn’t sure he’d be able to stay til the end, and sure enough our journey to the West Coast fleeing zombie hordes did take us longer than it says on the box, what with rules explanations and everything. Thematically, I’m not sure having to leave to pick up someone from choir is quite as on point as being eaten alive by the undead, but Andy did the former, and then Matt and I both succumbed to the latter in fairly short order, just one round shy of sanctuary. This left Steve, the only person left playing, a very lonely winner. Well him and his band of survivors.


Steve alive

Joe/Matt dead

Andy B missing in action


At the other end of the table Aristocracy had finished, and Mapmaker had begun and ended. I think Adam won Aristocracy, and Martin Mapmaker, but I may be wrong - one of the players can add the scores in the comments if they can remember!

 

Aristocracy:
Adam 45
Gareth 43
Martin 38


Mapmaker:
Martin 4.3
Gareth 4.0
Adam 3.1


At this point Matt bowed out - perhaps demoralised that his interactions with the zombie horde hadn’t been more positive; the remaining five played Art Robbery. We played twice, because in the first few rounds of the first game, people were still acclimatising to the dickish nature of the game, and not doing enough robbing. That game ended with Martin having the least alibis, Adam winning, and everyone’s scores being strangely evenly spread.


Adam 32

Steve 24

Gareth 17

Joe 8

Martin X


We played again, with a much feistier vibe, and I won - a first for me with this game. I like it now. We should play more. Gareth took the fall this time.


Joe 28

Steve 25

Adam 14

Martin 11

Gareth X


Now Adam and Steve departed, and Gareth, Martin and I played a couple of So Clover’s. We didn’t do great - scoring first 9 out of a possible 18, then 14. Unsurprisingly, this being all but a week ago, I can’t remember any of the words or clues. I think I’d probably drunk quite a bit of white wine too.


Thus ended the evening. I did make one note along with the scores, which reads “Discussion of pants online”, as far as I can tell. Or is it “pants on line”? If anyone can remember why I wrote this, feel free to enlighten us in the comments.

4 comments:

  1. You were bemoaning the loss of M&S as I recall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes - gosh how prosaic, I wonder why I thought that was worth writing down :-/

      Delete
  2. I added the Mapmaker and Aristocracy scores in the text. I didn't add the photos I took because they were terrible. :(

    For Rapido you just need to look at the picture to see where the creeping custard ended (second!) - I think it was Gareth who slid all the way back to zero by the end...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam - of course you were yellow in Rapido, what was I thinking? I apologise for tarnishing your good name…

      Delete