Friday 21 April 2023

Stop on Red

A bit of a Thursday night gaming sortie last night as Ian, Katy and I sat down to play Scythe. It had been a while for Katy and she needed a refresher, so we talked her through the objectives and turn by turn beats, and then were off into fictional Europa. 

I realised that in choosing three different factions from Saturday we'd ended up red (Ian), yellow (Katy) and green (me). As I spread across the board I could place flags, potentially doubling the value of controlled hexes for myself; a fact I kept forgetting. Katy could spend combat cards like resources and Ian had the oft-heralded power to not change slots between turns. 


Katy found it hard to get going, penned in her corner of the board and seemingly caught between two stalls at regular intervals. I was busy on my homeboard upgrading and enlisting; preparing for the future. But Ian was making geographic progress; sprawling out over the continent, banging out mechs and nabbing the factory for himself. His faction power of staying in the same slot was working well for him: he also got a couple of stars down before we'd done much of anything. 

And despite our increased activity and progress, it looked Ian's game to lose from fairly early on. He made no mistake, remorselessly advancing towards a sixth objective star and a reasonably convincing margin of victory:

Ian 63
Sam 51
Katy 46

It was only about 9.20 so we bashed through a quick game of Block Party which was notable for a serial failure to guess pretty much anything! Katy and I shared a win with a grand total of four points each - on a scoretrack that goes up to 20 (Ian had three, I think). I forgot to take any photos though.

Then we ended with a triple whammy of Zombie Kidz Evolutions.

We were only going to play once but each play is so rapid, and the next legacy envelope was so close, that we did two more, winning twice and losing once, and in the envelope was a special ability for Ian's nerf gun character. We'll try that next time. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely! Apologies for the lack of Blog from Tuesday last - I will get to it eventually :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was me, JB btw

    ReplyDelete