Wednesday 17 July 2024

Reinerlander

 I arrived at Sam’s house marginally before Ian did, giving me the rare privilege of being first to a games night. The three of us waited a few short minutes before Martin arrived and that would be the total attendance for this week. Sam mentioned that Martin was bringing him an old Reiner Knizia game, apparently in a huge box. The box, when it finally emerged from Martin’s bag, wasn’t quite as big as Sam was expecting, but it was colder. Martin explained it had been next to the beers.

The game is area control where you place your knights according to the cards in your hand, numbered 1-50-something. You can place a knight using this card on the relevant space or discard any card and then expand any already existing group of knights: a Duchy. Gaining control of castles allows you to add knights and strengthen your Duchy which is important because if they connect to an opponent’s larger duchy then you will lose control. Duchies get you points and, as the rulebook’s helpful strategy guide tells us, getting a high score is a good idea.


Ian and Martin battled over a large Duchy in the West while I collected castles – this used up my knights and threatened to trigger an early end to the game until the others picked on me and sent my castle-sitting knights back into my supply. Sam, meanwhile, built up his presence on an island, quickly dubbed “Samhatten” which remained a constant threat that he may be able to cross the river and join it to an opponent’s duchy.


He never did, though. He didn’t need to.

Sam 53
Ian 43
Andrew 29
Martin 27

Next up wasa welcome return for Montage, the crossword game, with Martin & Ian v Sam & I. We used the Bolivia set up which, we soon discovered, limits players to three and four letter words for most of the game. We clued as best we could, given the shortness of the words involved. Martin’s clue “old fashioned email” for Fax was nice, but failed. So did my “Cloth box” for bag. Shamefully, this logic was used again later when Martin clued “Cardboard bag” for box and I was too slow to knock and Sam and I lost the chance to intercept.


There were a couple of times when all three knocks came simultaneously but someone blurted the answer out anyway. We played on regardless, and Sam and I took the win but the tight Bolivian layout meant it wasn’t quite the smash hit that I recall. Hope to see it again soon, though.

Sam & Andrew, 4 quadrants
Ian & Martin 2

Then I decided to be sensible and leave early. It was only 10pm but since I’d got there first, I felt that I’d had my fill. The other three got out Mille Fiori.



Martin 197
Sam 195
Ian 183

And then they banged out three So Clovers!


16, 18, 18

Thanks all. See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment