A majorly late, and majorly minimal, account of last Tuesday's, sliding in under the wire just before tonight's games.
We were four; Katy, Ian, Martin and me (Joe), at mine. We took advantage of that fact to play some card games, starting with a Friedemann Friese gem called FTW; Fuck The What? according to Katy. That does sound like a feasible name for a party game, to be fair.
I didn't capture the gameplay, in all it's rainbow-coloured glory, but here's the box - green on green.
Katy was wearing green too, and Martin noted the general green-ness of everything. In any case we were all green at FTW, and whilst the gameplay is simple, along the lines of Abluxxen or Fuji Flush (sort of but not really) any obvious winning strategy eluded us. It reminded me slightly of 6Nimmt. We all liked it, would like to try again.
Katy 153
Ian 136
Joe 113
Martin 84
Next up Null unt Nichtig, a much older German (no shit) card game which Martin was briefly in possession of, having collected it from someone to deliver to someone else. A simple trick taker with five suits, the twist being that you don't have to follow suit; highest card wins, and you'll bank your won cards by suit, scoring the top card of each at the end of the game. Along the lines of Sticheln, it's a game of crapping on your opponents from a great height, to gails of laughter and howls of despair, as you ensure their high scoring cards get covered by zeros (two in each suit).
It was completely beastly, and I did terribly. I'd play it again, but it's currently winging its way to its new owner. Feel like it might be playable with a Sticheln deck - does that have two zeros?
Martin 110
Katy 96
Ian 80
Joe 73
(I think I've got the scores the right way round - I wrote them all down but not in order, and without the game titles).
It was only a little after nine, but Katy was keen to a) play So Clover and b) go home and get some rest, so we bust it out and played three rounds. I think we only achieved a perfect 24 on the last round - in any case that's the only one I took a photo of. More green! I seem to remember Ian getting royally portobello-ed but I can't remember the details now. If only I'd taken more photos.


Thanks for blogging Joe. I enjoy the write-ups! Away in Wales we played Codenames, So Clover, Hanami, Qork, Triangulation, Llamaland, Alibis and Wavelength.
ReplyDelete